USB 2.0 Flash Drive format?

vbimport

#1. which format I use NTFS and FAT 32 or something else ?
#2. which one I choose allocation unit size ?
#3. Quick format or full format ?

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2562001]#1. which format I use NTFS and FAT 32 or something else ?[/quote]This depends on your usage scenario and the size of the USB stick.

#2. which one I choose allocation unit size ?
Use the default values offered.

#3. Quick format or full format ?
Usually, quick format is enough.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2562019]This depends on your usage scenario and the size of the USB stick.
Use the default values offered.
Usually, quick format is enough.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks mciahel :slight_smile:

Just checked a 2GB and it’s actually in FAT, not even FAT32.
Same for a 1GB, so it looks like the supplied format for models of 2GB or less may be plain old FAT.
Of course, you can reformat to FAT32 or NTFS.
For flash drives of 4GB or lower, I’d be inclined to go FAT32, since there is no maximum filesize issue.
For larger, if you know anything you use it with will have NTFS support, then NTFS is one way, otherwise FAT32 (and accept the 4GB file size limit).

Similarly, external hard drives are usually FAT32 as standard, so the file size limit may bite you if transferring a full size DVD ISO or a large single archive or DVD chunked archive.

[QUOTE=Matth;2562918]Just checked a 2GB and it’s actually in FAT, not even FAT32.
Same for a 1GB, so it looks like the supplied format for models of 2GB or less may be plain old FAT.
Of course, you can reformat to FAT32 or NTFS.
For flash drives of 4GB or lower, I’d be inclined to go FAT32, since there is no maximum filesize issue.
For larger, if you know anything you use it with will have NTFS support, then NTFS is one way, otherwise FAT32 (and accept the 4GB file size limit).

Similarly, external hard drives are usually FAT32 as standard, so the file size limit may bite you if transferring a full size DVD ISO or a large single archive or DVD chunked archive.[/QUOTE]

I have USB thumb drives up to 32GB, and none of them can be formatted in NTFS. They are in FAT32, and no other formatting is available when I try to format in XP.

Oops! Yes, you’re right.
In case you want NTFS, you need 3rd party software like HP’s “USB Disk Storage Format Tool”. Works at least with XP SP3.

Edit:
Got it. At least XP disables the write cache for USB thumbdrives by default. In that case, NTFS is not available as formatting option.
If you (logged in with administrative permissions) change the behaviour of your thumbdrive in devive manager from “Optimize for Removal” to “Optimize for Performance”, then not only the write cache is enabled, but also NTFS is available as formatting option.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2563161]Oops! Yes, you’re right.
In case you want NTFS, you need 3rd party software like HP’s “USB Disk Storage Format Tool”. Works at least with XP SP3.

Edit:
Got it. At least XP disables the write cache for USB thumbdrives by default. In that case, NTFS is not available as formatting option.
If you (logged in with administrative permissions) change the behaviour of your thumbdrive in devive manager from “Optimize for Removal” to “Optimize for Performance”, then not only the write cache is enabled, but also NTFS is available as formatting option.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thank you.