USB 2.0 External Enclosure File Read Problem

vbimport

Last month I bought a VIA USB 2.0 PCI card to upgrade my old system so that I could use my external enclosure at faster speeds. Anyway, after messing around with drivers and different usb cables, I managed to get it to write to the external HD at usb 2.0 speeds. However, when I tried to transfer something from the external HD to another HD or something, it’ll read for a few seconds and then pause… and then it will continue and then pause. It’s an irritating problem and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

have you set the jumper cap correctly on the external drive ? should be set to master

I have had that same prob. I think, if I remember correctly, it was my antivirus checking the files I was transfering. Try disabling av while transfering!

I have the HD set as master. There’s no antivirus software installed as I just formatted and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro. The HD’s file system is FAT32, but that shouldn’t affect it at all, right? I tried moving the PCI card to different PCI slots on the motherboard and it didn’t work :frowning:

are you positive that the usb cable that you are using is usb2 and not a usb1 cable? Also can we get some system specs!

Yeah, I’m sure its a USB 2.0 cable. The enclosure with the cable works fine on other computers. It just doesn’t on mine :(. Attached are the specs of my comp from Nero InfoTool.

I cannot remember what the prob was for me to save my life. Do you have sp2 and if so try turning off the xp firewall!

I know it was something in the lines of a simple setting or other progy that was running, what else is running? Also can you “ctrl, alt, del” to see what cpu usage is when transferring file.

I have SP2 installed. This is a brand new install :. I was running Win2k yesterday and I had the same problem… I have some other stuff running in the background, but they’re just normal stuff.