USB 2.0 Cardbus can recieve not send

I bought a HP 2 port usb 2.0 Cardbus to attach an external dvd burner to my laptop. HP product #pm453a. While I can receive information from the dvd drive to the computer, I am unable to send information from the computer to the DVD drive. The computer freezes up. When I manually eject the cardbus, it unfreezes. Same goes with my mp3 player. They both work fine on the usb 1.1. Any Ideas?
Thanks

Hi and Welcome!

at first some questions that might help troubleshooting.

• What operating system are you running?
  • if that is Windows 2000 or XP: are latest Service Packs installed?
  • did you install any drivers that come with the card or do you rely on Windows own drivers? (The latter is often better)
  • any chance to try the card in another laptop?

Michael

Hello Michael, and thanks for your help. I am operating Windows XP with service pack 2. I am using the windows drivers. They automatically install when I plug the device(s) in. I exchanged that previous cardbus for a different model, and I am still getting the same results. Interestingly enough, I have a flash disk pen drive that works perfectly with the card bus. I don’t have the option of using the card in another laptop, at least not easily.

-Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,

Okay. This is good.

I exchanged that previous cardbus for a different model, and I am still getting the same results. Interestingly enough, I have a flash disk pen drive that works perfectly with the card bus.
Strange. As far as i know is this HP card based on NEC chipset, that is known to be most compatible. Maybe there is some system issue. Please try in Safe Mode (I am not sure if the card works at all then, but you have nothing to lose).
I don’t have the option of using the card in another laptop, at least not easily.
Okay. But maybe you can ask the shop, where you bought the card (unless you ordered online)

Michael

I started up the computer in safe mode, and the card would not work at all.
Frustrating.

I’ve narrowed it down to a driver problem. Do you know a good place on the web to download new drivers?

Most USB2 devices come with a driver disc, and certainly HP has a site where you can download a driver. The manual for the card should specify where to go.

I’ve always found USB to be troublesome at best. Just to be sure, check and see that you show “[U]Enhanced[/U] Host Controller” in USB devices in Device Manager. That’s the USB2 driver.

Hi,

What drivers do you think to be the problem source? On that NEC based card avoid manufacturer drivers and stick with those Windows installed automagically!* But you can try if updated mainboard drivers would help. At first, see if there are any on the website of your computer maker, secondly check website of chipset manufacturer. Also, running Windows Update might be useful.

Michael
*I had done such, and transfer rate decreased from 15MB/s to 12MB/s, that wouldn’t be enough for 8x DVD speed. I had to restore a system snapshot I made before.

Hello All,

First, let me thank you for all of your help and suggestions. I finally got my setup to operate. It was a driver problem, and I found the fix on the Dell driver website earlier today. Allthough I came up with that one on my own, I noticed Michael suggested that above - Thanks Michael. I was even able to burn my first DVD of some home movies. It works on my DVD player in the livingroom! What fun! Thanks again for your help, I know I’ll be back here often.
P.S. The download was a driver update/fix for the O2Micro OZ6912 PCMCIA Card Controller.