Usage counter in Plextor drives?

vbimport

Is there any kind of a viewable counter (e. g. data transfered or discs burned) that would help to differentiate a used drive from a new one?

[QUOTE=vinconspic;2678235]Is there any kind of a viewable counter (e. g. data transfered or discs burned) that would help to differentiate a used drive from a new one?[/QUOTE]

I believe PXInfo shows the amount of time used by a Plextor drive.

What amoung of time? Powered on, connected to a PC while powered on or transfering data?

[QUOTE=vinconspic;2678423]What amoung of time? Powered on, connected to a PC while powered on or transfering data?[/QUOTE]

Total burning time. See here.

Got it. Thanks for the information. Is there some kind of “reading time” counter?

[QUOTE=vinconspic;2678433]Got it. Thanks for the information. Is there some kind of “reading time” counter?[/QUOTE]

Not that I’m aware of.

Hi
I’ve just installed QpxTool 0.7.1 and was able to see 4 parameters in Basic Info section of my Plextor PX-755A:

Discs loaded;
CD Read (HH:MM:SS);
CD Write (HH:MM:SS);
DVD Read (HH:MM:SS);
DVD Write (HH:MM:SS).

The fact is that I also run PXInfo 1.26 and got the same write counters. With PXInfo I wasn’t able to understand also the read counters and disc_loaded counter.
Anyway, having the same info from two applications, makes me believe that QpxTool also give write and disc loaded counters in a correct way.

Oh, that is why I always heard a click after each medium written :eek:

Anyway, this information is more than interesting. It makes you think of whys and whens. What else in my house has a usage counter? Orwell knew something in advance. (Especially taking into account that his real name was Blair).

Brilliant!

just wanted to thank you for posting this. I had similar findings using QpxTool a couple of weeks back, but never got around to posting them.
I searched the site like mad, assuming someone would have noticed this Qpx function. I am genuinely surprised that no one had noticed or mentioned the ability to get the read counter in Plextor drives.

As a further data point, I was able to score a brand new, never used PX-716UF via ebay. Attached is a screenshot from Qpx Tool. Note that PXinfo and Qpx total both display the correct TLA (0304).

best,

Anthony

[QUOTE=Vasy;2688727]Hi
I’ve just installed QpxTool 0.7.1 and was able to see 4 parameters in Basic Info section of my Plextor PX-755A:

Discs loaded;
CD Read (HH:MM:SS);
CD Write (HH:MM:SS);
DVD Read (HH:MM:SS);
DVD Write (HH:MM:SS).

The fact is that I also run PXInfo 1.26 and got the same write counters. With PXInfo I wasn’t able to understand also the read counters and disc_loaded counter.
Anyway, having the same info from two applications, makes me believe that QpxTool also give write and disc loaded counters in a correct way.[/QUOTE]

Proibably the info is useless unless you can prove its fully implemented in the firmware. :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2690933]Proibably the info is useless unless you can prove its fully implemented in the firmware. ;)[/QUOTE]
Probably your posts are useless, unless you can prove they are fully implemented in the firmware. :wink:

Great introduction…NOT…:bigsmile:

@Can’tStopTheClass Please don’t get into a trolling contest with chef.

Rudeness met with rudeness isn’t tolerated around here, though we sometimes slip up and don’t find all of chef’s contributions.

The point is the information is very useful e. g. when you’re buying a used drive and want to know how much use it had… or when you’re buying a new drive and want to know if it’s really new. It works correctly at least for the “Dics loaded” entry, which every owner can easily check.