Usability guru: Windows 8 is weak on tablets, terrible for PCs

vbimport

Usability guru: Windows 8 is weak on tablets, terrible for PCs.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/08/SjJPmF.png[/newsimage]Another blow for Microsoft today as usability guru Jakob Nielsen posted heavy criticism on Windows 8

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/usability-guru-windows-8-is-weak-on-tablets-terrible-for-pcs-64897/](http://www.myce.com/news/usability-guru-windows-8-is-weak-on-tablets-terrible-for-pcs-64897/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I have been using Windows 8 for a month now and although I will say that it was a painstaking experience towards the beginning, now that I have gotten used to the interface it is a cinch. People are always resistant to change.

Nielsen also writes that Windows is no longer using multiple windows , taking away the original meaning of the name of the operating system. According to Nielsen the operating system can now be called Microsoft Window. The single window interface works well on tablets and is required for smartphones but with a big screen on a powerful computer where multiple applications can easily run it’s incredibly useful to be able to switch between them which is no longer possible in Metro.

I strongly agree with this.

I tried win8 since summer and everything ran ok. Except for:

IE 10 wouldn’t load my Banking info.
PSP didn’t work
Windows phone wouldnt sync to win8.
Mobo drivers couldn’t install.
Printer drivers couldn’t install
Other misc programs wouldn’t work

Wait a minute, I guess everything DIDN’t run ok. I didn’t mind the metro, and eventually installed a start menu to make it easier, but when my most important stuff didn’t run, I was actually forced to re-install win 7.

[QUOTE=aka74;2664683]

Nielsen also writes that Windows is no longer using multiple windows , taking away the original meaning of the name of the operating system. According to Nielsen the operating system can now be called Microsoft Window. The single window interface works well on tablets and is required for smartphones but with a big screen on a powerful computer where multiple applications can easily run it’s incredibly useful to be able to switch between them which is no longer possible in Metro.

I strongly agree with this.[/QUOTE] Yes, this is the single worst thing of Window(s) 8; This isn’t going forwards - this is going backwards!

[QUOTE=aka74;2664683]I strongly agree with this.[/QUOTE]
You mean no more alt-tab?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2664715]You mean no more alt-tab?[/QUOTE]
Not with metro apps. With regular desktop apps, though, alt-tab works perfectly, though.

Also, believe I should point out what I’ve previously said about Windows 8.

Actually windows key + tab works to iterate through the windows. Second, you can put one of the apps on the left panel while having the right side display something else. I would still consider this as multiple windows.

[QUOTE=ivanzeta;2664741]Actually windows key + tab works to iterate through the windows. Second, you can put one of the apps on the left panel while having the right side display something else. I would still consider this as multiple windows.[/QUOTE]

That’s right but some people like mouthing off without first doing the research and knowing the actual facts.
Windows 8 is an improved Windows 7 with the addition of a Metro apps screen. The start menu is easily replaceable.
It takes a bit of time to figure out everything (like Win 3.11 > Win 95) but eventually you get there and can appreciate the improvements.

And some people like to act like Microsoft sycophants and praise whatever they do, no matter how terrible it is.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2664750]Windows 8 is an improved Windows 7[/QUOTE]
No, it’s not, and to even claim such a thing is to show just how much of the Kool-Aid one has consumed.

Second, you can put one of the apps on the left panel while having the right side display something else.
More would be better. Maybe even something liketiling.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2664871]And some people like to act like Microsoft sycophants and praise whatever they do, no matter how terrible it is.

No, it’s not, and to even claim such a thing is to show just how much of the Kool-Aid one has consumed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. You mustn’t be tech savvy enough to know how to use it.

I think there’s one thing we can all agree on, and that’s Windows 8 will NEVER get to the popularity level of Windows XP or Windows 7. To argue that is pointless. PC and notebook owners are, for the most part, going to stay with Windows 7. When Windows 9 comes out, we’ll all have another look. Windows 8 is for Win tablets. Period.