US Senators aim to stop airport laptop searches

vbimport

I just posted the article US Senators aim to stop airport laptop searches.

Travellers who have entered the US may already know what it is like to have their luggage searched. However, what some may not realise is that when it comes to electronic…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14795-US-Senators-aim-to-stop-airport-laptop-searches.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14795-US-Senators-aim-to-stop-airport-laptop-searches.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What gets me is that this seems more important than border security. Who cares about data? What about the millions that are crossing the border iilegally every year? What about the chance that maybe 1 or a few of those illegals are intent on smuggling in a biological, chemical or even a nuclear device? When something bad like that does happen, watch those politicians, that have sold us down the river for a vote, start pointing fingers at others when they should be pointing it at themselves. Sorry, but had to be said…

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Educate yourself about ACTA. Basically the RIAA / MPAA are convincing several governments of the world to permit their customs agents to search laptops and iPods etc… for copyrighted materials and confiscate them on a whim. Its a complete travesty and the people pushing ACTA behind closed doors should be treated as criminals and traitors. I wouldn’t waste my spit on these people. Lets hope these senators help do away with this BS.
This message was edited at: 26-06-2008 18:46

So… basically entering/reentering the US is like going to Big Brother state were all people are suspicious of being criminals. Great! And what if you refuse that they take and search your laptop? I’d really like to know. Things in the States and in Europe are getting crazier and crazier. I don’t know how these things can happen and why nobody is doing anything to prevent this :frowning:

Yea, this is only the beginning…agree with ivid. A few weeks ago there was an article that leaked info about a law that diff countries are trying to put in place so that Customs can search your digital stuff for pirated content. They would be the ones that decide if its pirated or not, and if they say it’s pirated, then you lose your device and get fined, no questions asked. Just think…if you had an mp3 player, there is no way for them to tell if the music on it is legit or not. This is freaking crap, hopefully more people will step in to stop these media companies from paying off people to pass these crap laws.