US movie theater tickets receive biggest price increase ever

vbimport

US movie theater tickets receive biggest price increase ever.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/C8GxRP.jpg[/newsimage]Despite peer-to-peer piracy and other overblown threats of competition, the movie industry has seen record box office ticket sales from 2007 to 2009 -- and 2010 is expected to be even better yet.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/us-movie-theater-tickets-receive-biggest-price-increase-ever-33808/](http://www.myce.com/news/us-movie-theater-tickets-receive-biggest-price-increase-ever-33808/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Standard Movie tickets in Oz cost $15, 3D Tickets upto $25 … that’s $13.50 US & $23US respectively. I don’t buy popcorn & drinks, it’s $10 for a mice-sized popcorn & drink, and they’ve always run out of the drink I want.

That’s $40-60 ($36-54 US) for any couple to go to the movies.
The last movie I went to, the seats were uncomfortable, there wasn’t enough leg room, there was popcorn & sticky substances on the floor, and arm-rest … and the volume of the speakers was unbelievably loud … and I suspect glorious 2 channel surround stereo, and the screen had a large discoloured patch almost 20% wide & 80% high … and the movie was only displayed in 720p and I spent 1/2 the time watching the dots crawl, and the air-conditioning was completely inadequate and I walked out smelling like I’d run a marathon fully clothed.

Blockbuster Bluray movies are debuting in Oz for $25, and then returning to their steady price of $35 after a few weeks of the novelty price. My couch is very comfy, I don’t have to smuggle food & drinks tucked under my coat, I can pause the movie at any time, I can control the loudness (and adjust different levels) of the 7.1 surround sound system, the floor is damn near spotless (in case I want to lounge around on the comfy rug), I can set the temperature to whatever I want, I can invite as many friends as I want, as many times as I want, and the picture is beautiful 1080p.

Home Cinema is the future, increasing the price in leaps and bounds is just hastening cinema’s demise.

I read Blockbuster is going to declare bankruptcy next month. I hope so they are a bad company

I go to very few movies anymore

[QUOTE=samlar;2541503]I read Blockbuster is going to declare bankruptcy next month. I hope so they are a bad company

I go to very few movies anymore[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=debro;2541489]Blockbuster Bluray movies are debuting in Oz for $25, and then returning to their steady price of $35 after a few weeks of the novelty price.[/QUOTE]
By the term Blockbuster, I meant “big productions”, and not literally Blockbuster the company.

I haven’t seen a movie in a theater since Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban came out, and with these prices won’t be seeing anything else in a theater any time soon.
And you can forget the price premium of a 3D film altogether. It’s not worth it in any way at all. When you can show the film as a holographic image with me in the center of the action, I might express some interest in a 3D film.
My Lazyboy is just fine for me to see movies from.

Is funny how they instead of luring people with good prices, the just make a high increase in movie theaters. That’s one of the thing that made me run away from it, the last picture i watched was Kick Ass. The price is very high in a place where they put a lot of advertising before a movie start to fund it.

[QUOTE=debro;2541489]I can invite as many friends as I want, as many times as I want, and the picture is beautiful 1080p.[/quote] You should expand, built more seats and charge total strangers. :slight_smile:

The last movie i watched in the cinemas was Avatar 3D. It was a nice experience. I think i will continue to go to cinemas, but i think i will also still be very selective in what movie i would really like to watch in the cinemas. Not many movies are really worth watching on huge screens.

Strangely enough, there were ENOUGH blockbuster movies at the start of Summer Movie season BEFORE the price hike that put Hollywood at record earnings. Also, for at least 6-8 weeks AFTER the price hike the numbers kept getting better, but then the quality movies dropped off a cliff. So did revenue. Hollywood creates their own BOOM BUST cycle to justify ANYTHING (such as blaming PiRaCy)… it’s their own version of off screen drama.

Also, the greatly anticiapted movie about The Pirate Bay will get released, should be a fun download…