US government exploring more Internet censorship options

vbimport

US government exploring more Internet censorship options.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/10/cQRMBy.png[/newsimage]If the recent news of the proposed Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) law wasn’t enough to make you feel like the internet is on its way to being excessively censored, some new information emerging this week could change your mind.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/us-government-exploring-more-internet-censorship-options-34872/](http://www.myce.com/news/us-government-exploring-more-internet-censorship-options-34872/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

America condemned Australia for plans to bring in a internet filter using the excuse it was to protect the children, but the Australian public were smarter than the Aus govt thought and said No.

Hitler did the same sort of thing in his early days so the people could know only what they wanted them to know, as they say control the information and you control the people.

This sounds more like the Music and Movie industry own the Govt and want to ignore people’s rights and freedoms so they can continue to charge rip-off prices for substandard product.

So much for Governments being hired by the people to make people’s lives better and uphold people’s rights and freedoms, not sell out to big business.

Good article about the future of Internet Censorship here
http://www.efa.org.au/

I hope we can make it to 2012 in one piece so America can fix this at the poles

[QUOTE=rla;2547598]I hope we can make it to 2012 in one piece so America can fix this at the poles[/QUOTE]
Don’t be so quick to consider a Republican administration to be your savior when it comes to your rights… or did you forget that it was a Republican administration that created the odious USA PATRIOT Act? Or how about their unconscionable interference in the Terry Schiavo affair? No, Republicans are no better than Democrats when it comes to sticking their noses into your private affairs and ignoring your rights and your privacy; it’s a disease common to all politicians.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2547667]Don’t be so quick to consider a Republican administration to be your savior when it comes to your rights… or did you forget that it was a Republican administration that created the odious USA PATRIOT Act? Or how about their unconscionable interference in the Terry Schiavo affair? No, Republicans are no better than Democrats when it comes to sticking their noses into your private affairs and ignoring your rights and your privacy; it’s a disease common to all politicians.[/QUOTE]

:clap:

The best course of action is to redefine what it means to be Republican to a hybrid of conservative, Constitutionalist and Libertarian traits.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2547667]Don’t be so quick to consider a Republican administration to be your savior when it comes to your rights… or did you forget that it was a Republican administration that created the odious USA PATRIOT Act? Or how about their unconscionable interference in the Terry Schiavo affair? No, Republicans are no better than Democrats when it comes to sticking their noses into your private affairs and ignoring your rights and your privacy; it’s a disease common to all politicians.[/QUOTE]

I never said a thing about a Republican being my Savior. I do believe in firing government employees (especially those in Congress) who under perform or abuse office no matter what political affiliation. I hope this decade goes down as the decade of new blood in Washington, DC. Surely the public has figured out that green, newbie politicians are no worse than the old ones. People seem to forget how easy it is to unseat and get rid of bad Washington players with a simple vote. Instead they seem to want to argue left and right “Mickey Mouse” issues while their common needs and wishes are ignored.

I do think that the patriot act is the single most anti constitutional and anti American pieces of legislations ever. If people had enough reading comprehension to grasp what that act does to effectively cancel constitutional mandates they would surely question who is the real threat to freedom. The provisions of that act and the potential effect on real freedom makes the efforts of terrorists look amateur. In the meantime dumb America rationalizes the loss of freedoms against a terrorist threat while the pundits at FOX and MSNBC play them like puppets in a game.

Back on topic… It seems like the US government is trying to pressure ISP’s into agreeing to their blacklist. “Please voluntarily block this list of sites… or else”.

I’m glad that we at least have some ISP diversity in this country, although I do realize there are a few really big players that control the majority of the market. If it were just one ISP, there would be a much greater chance of them obliging the government’s unconstitutional requests.

This is horrible. This would force everyone to use encryption, darknets, and anonymous proxies. Oh wait… maybe it’s not a really a problem.