US film makers sue Samsung over glitches on DVD player

I just posted the article US film makers sue Samsung over glitches on DVD player.

Over the weekend, according to this story at Korea Times, US film makers have  caused Samsung to go scrambling, since learning of a lawsuit filed by Walt  Disney, Time Warner and three other...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11519-US-film-makers-sue-Samsung-over-glitches-on-DVD-player.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11519-US-film-makers-sue-Samsung-over-glitches-on-DVD-player.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t understand why they’re suing. First of all, CSS can easily be broken to provide bit perfect copies that can be played on any DVD at any resolution the user want. More importantly, the original content is still only about 480 lines of resoltion, the rest of the information is just interpolated. It’s not like this player allowed users to get a true HD-DVD or Blu-Ray quality picture out of the DVI output (I don’t think the player could do HDCP less upconversion over component outputs), without having to buy new hardware and discs. I suppose the argument will be the usual “this goes against the DMCA,” but my point is that even without HDCP, it’s not like the user would magically get more information from the DVD than was originally there. Besides, most people wouldn’t know how to record from the DVI output anyway.

Lets see: 1. - You have flat TV capable to “do” 720p or 1080i, the so said HD ready 2. - You have a DVD player where you play “normal” DVDs 3. - This player is capable to upsample your normal DVD image to fit the definition of you TV, giving you the ilusion of HDTV 4. - because the “future” HD discs will require you to have hardware that prevents you to “see” HD unless they have HDCP controls, you run an “illegal” situation and 5. - The manufacturer of a player that has been discontinued more than 1 year ago is being sued because a model was sold that can “circunvect” a protection for a fil format that it not in the market yet? This is becoming crazy? What a wonderful world!!!

So let me get this straight, I ‘find’ a code that can be used with my remote to play DVD’s from all regions and this makes me a ‘thief’? I would think that the fact that these ‘secret’ codes to unlock exist from the manufacturers side are proof enough that if it is possible then it will happen…

Let’s not take this too personally… They’re not going after end users, they’re going after Samsung. If the issue is over the fact that this model upconverts to HD specs, I find this hilarious. If high definition dvds are supposed to blow us away, who cares if an old Samsung DVD player up-converts older 480p encoded discs?

what is the big deal over this? the HDCP crack means nothing…there are no HD players…even if there were this machine is not so it would not play HD, so why the fuss? Why is the hack even necessary? What use is it?

It’s a region code hack I think that has them pissed. Also, with the HDCP hack, you can view upscaled images over composite [corrected] connections and it is not limited to the digital connection, so that pisses them off too. This player is an upscaling machine. We just have to wait until we hear what the complaint is to be sure though. Often for “testing purposes” a firmware will have such bypasses. Every now and again, someone forgets to update the firmware prior to release. Somehow the info gets out on on the Net how to bypass certain copy protections i.e. Macrovision. Then the hardware manufacturer gets in hot water.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 20.02.2006 22:05]

right!!! it is just an upscaling machine, so I have no idea why hollywood is angry…tons of region free machines and since this machine does not play high def stuff then what gives? The only thing I can see is that this would mess up future so-called hi-def releases of low-res stuff. For example…Happy Days in High-Def. With a machine like this you could make your own high-def no better than hollywod if you had the original. Was this deck macrovision free too?

“Was this deck macrovision free too?” I don’t think so, but this was my first thought, so I did some digging around and all I can find is region code and HDCP hacks.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 20.02.2006 20:42]

Component / RGB / whatever progressive outputs are always Macrovision free - Macrovision APS only works on Composite/S-Video Signals.

For some reason I see a rush for those units by savvy consumers, same way as with those video cameras with the night vision setting that worked too well (resulting in nearly Superman X-ray vision). Let the games begin!:g

Isn’t this discussion illegal under the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act? We could all be arrested!:frowning: Oh and by the way there is a *hit load of Samsung DVD-HD841 available on Ebay.:B

It would be hilarious if they were worried that consumers wouldn’t be able tell the difference between an upscaled DVD on an HDTV compared to a true High Def video…

you won’t be able to tell with stuff that is already 720x480 or below…so this cuts into their stash of buying MASH in HD (even though it is not) So really, what CAN you do with this HDCP hack? I guess you can just output upscaled DVDs for recording later…that is about it right? Anything else?

I wouldn’t rush over to e-bay untill I checked to see if the refurbished units they are selling are still hackable… That should be on a forum somewhere.

I haven’t done any research on this player/hdcp hacks but I have a theory to its value. How many LCD HDTVs are out there that have DVI but are not HDCP compliant? In my experience, I owned a 32" Protron from Sears (you can buy one now online) that when I connected to my LG upscaling DVD player with a built-in ATSC tuner for local Over The Air High Def channels, I would be able to watch the local OTA channels but could NOT watch any DVD movies. I had to switch it to component video in order to watch a DVD that provided no upscaling features. Upscaling is only possible via HDCP and a HDTV that has DVI or HDMI inputs, but if it’s not HDCP compliant then the upscale features are useless not to mention just watching a DVD in normal Standard Def. Of course I returned it and bought a HDCP compliant HDTV. The fact is not everyone knows this and the ones that do are “stuck” with these TVs and need a solution… here comes the Samsung DVD-HD841 to the rescue.:g
[edited by SciFer on 23.02.2006 02:14]

I really see no need for this. There are no hi def capture cards and this is just plain old dvd!

does anyone have any updates on this? Just curious