US Copyright Law Doesn’t Apply Worldwide,”DVD Ripper” Tells Court

vbimport

The Chinese-based DVD ripping company DVDFab has asked a New York federal court to lift its domain seizures and payment processing restrictions so it can serve customers outside the United States. The company argues that the country’s DRM circumvention laws don’t apply internationally. .

Link: http://torrentfreak.com/us-copyright-law-doesnt-apply-worldwidedvd-ripper-tells-court-140424/

:cool::cool:

• What exactly is the problem?

The root problem is that in the U.S., corporations and their lobbyists are allowed to write laws which the Congress then passes, hence the section of Copyright law known as the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act).

Earlier this year a federal court in New York, acting in response to a complaint filed under DMCA provisions by AACS-LA*, issued an injunction that required among other things that the DVDFab internet domains be blocked and that payment processors cease providing services related to the sale of the product. All social media accounts were also closed. The case is grinding its way through the system.

*AACS-LA is a consortium of technology and content companies that includes Intel, Microsoft, Disney, Sony, Toshiba, IBM, Warner Bros., Panasonic and other enemies of Fair Use.

I think that if the US is ballsy enough to pass a World-Wide-Copy-Right law then the US ought be prepared to back it up…:eek:

//youtu.be/9ynY5NvYsZY

• Th U.K is in process of allowing the copy of dvds / cd for personal use?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2727238]I think that if the US is ballsy enough to pass a World-Wide-Copy-Right law then the US ought be prepared to back it up…:eek:
[/QUOTE]Despite AACS-LA’s fantasies to the contrary, DMCA applies only in the US, although I think some other countries have similar laws. I have read that the UK will have “consumer Fair Use” in a month or so.

[QUOTE=signals;2727253] I have read that the UK will have “consumer Fair Use” in a month or so.[/QUOTE]

• IMO if the U.K allows copying of DVD / BD / CD then other countries will follow. It could be the U.S. is alone on this strategy for preventing BD CD copying.

Dont forget in Countries like the Uk you can legaly make a copy of you blu ray or dvd now so those laws shouldn’t apply world wide

Political comments removed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=pctech008;2727257]* IMO if the U.K allows copying of DVD / BD / CD then other countries will follow. It could be the U.S. is alone on this strategy for preventing BD CD copying.[/QUOTE]

Hi - Please will someone who knows anyone in the Hollywood movie industry please ask them to pass up the line that this UK resident classic film lover has spent $1000’s on US Region 1 DVDs for nearly 13 years, and in more recent years several hundred dollars on Region A locked Blu-rays (usually because they are the only available or superior to the UK counterpart) and I would have purchased precisely none of them without DVDFab (from version 2) to allow me to rip them (every single one of them bought and paid for by me) to my computer hard drive so I could enjoy them. It is entirely possible that even without DVDFab, I would have refused to buy any local product if I knew there was a superior or better value version outwith my [arbitrarily coded] region. UK and Australia share the same Blu-Ray Region Code but different DVD Region Codes? Nonsense! Thank you.

• Yeah they just release SH%^%#$@!ty blue ray copy’s> then make you buy another one that was improved over the previous?> that’s like selling a razor to someone then telling them their new ones a sharper than the one you never used.

[QUOTE=pctech008;2727965]* Yeah they just release SH%^%#$@!ty blue ray copy’s> then make you buy another one that was improved over the previous?> that’s like selling a razor to someone then telling them their new ones a sharper than the one you never used.[/QUOTE]

My DVDFab works fine, and apparently ‘BluFab’ does not include a decryption component. I bought lifetime licences for all the DVDFab components I needed/wanted (I don’t need 2D to 3D conversion) years ago and I’ve never had to pay ever again through versions 2 - 9 except for the newer Blu-Ray components, but once only as I say. I can’t say that about my Adobe software.

Incidentally, in my previous (and first) post, I inadvertently exaggerated the number of years I had been using DVDFab. Sorry - I said 13 but it’s more like 9. Couldn’t edit by the time I realised, so I add this note here. Oh well, doesn’t affect my point.

If you already have DVDFab, BluFab is redundant. Blame the US Law ‘Suits’.

• I purchased DVDfab 2-3 years ago> I bought my first PC back in 2000> 10 years later I felt it was time to upgrade> I was unfamiliar with ripping technology, and the software at the time was glitchy and inconsistent> DVDfab works flawlessly, I’ve ripped hundreds of BD and DVD copies with no issues, I also have a lifetime membership, and it comes in handy because if your disc is lost or damaged you have a few back up copies of it here and there>

• Especially now that Seagate will be releasing 10TB -16TB data storage based on the newer Magnetic Heat technology> backups for movies will be better than cloud storage UltraViolet wants us to use, which will become useless, IMO.