US BitTorrent traffic well down, but booming everywhere else

vbimport

US BitTorrent traffic well down, but booming everywhere else.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]Despite the Entertainment industry's claims that you cannot compete with free, the growth of legal movie on demand services such as Netflix appears to be killing off BitTorrent's Internet share in the US, with BitTorrent traffic now just 11.3% during peak hours compared to 17.3% last year.  

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/us-bittorrent-traffic-well-down-but-booming-everywhere-else-61776/](http://www.myce.com/news/us-bittorrent-traffic-well-down-but-booming-everywhere-else-61776/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Or maybe people have come to their senses and got bored with downloading stuff they’ll never watch…

who downloads stuff they have no intention if watching?

In Oz,I’m aware that many people download because they have the s#£%s with the pay tv and FTA stations here that play series out of order, mix different seasons, bump timeslots around and even cut scenes out of the episode so they can squeeze in a few extra commercials during popular shows, or so I’ve heard.

I’ve already stopped watching anything non-todays news, on the tv stations here, because of the above.

I’ve seen some eposodes of the big bang theory advertised as all new, but then turn out to be the previous season, played as recently as the week before.

A recent study showed that 10% of bittorent traffic was heading to Australia, at least for “game of thrones”

[QUOTE=debro;2635532]who downloads stuff they have no intention if watching?

[/QUOTE]

My nephew, for one. He collects torrents just for the sake of downloading. Figures if he’s buying 250GB a month from the Cable Company he damned well better use it…

You’re right, I think it’s more the exception than the norm but I’ve known people who d/l stuff just for the sake of having it for bragging(or “gifting”) or trading purposes but not for their own use. Again, I don’t think it’s the norm. I believe most download only what they want. I also have a friend who has nothing better to do (he can’t keep a job) and downloads every movie and TV show that pops up on the torrents. So he “intends” to watch them but wouldn’t bother if he had a normal persons amount of free time. So he’s almost like your nephew. Myself, I d/l the few tv shows that I watch regularily. Can’t remember the last time I used my PVR to record a show that I download instead.

Did I mention that program codes are regularly messed up and the freeview consortium decided not to support series codes, so you could record the entire series.

of course, if they supported series link, a simple 22 episode series would be 300 recordings anyway.

Well, regarding “booming everywhere else”: in eurloand we pay the euro price in dollars. And not only that, e. g. the lord of the rings extended on bluray costs 60 dollars at amazon.com, 120 EURO at amazon.de … for a movie that almost everyone has already bought at least once on dvd anyway.

[QUOTE=Mirror007;2635693]Well, regarding “booming everywhere else”: in eurloand we pay the euro price in dollars. And not only that, e. g. the lord of the rings extended on bluray costs 60 dollars at amazon.com, 120 EURO at amazon.de … for a movie that almost everyone has already bought at least once on dvd anyway.[/QUOTE]
Nevermind, you can just buy it from amazon.com … and checkout … oops!
Wait … the blurays/DVD’s are all region coded …

Ain’t that fair :wink:

Having access to low quality cammed movies is getting quite old… when there are high quality releases, you’ll see the traffic perk up because there is a more limited auidence for that stuff. Also, there is a bit of media & entertainment overload. The amount of time you could spend to view & experience it all is too much compared to the depth of stuff available. So you will see some mainstream people pushing back into the woodwork as before The Pirate Bay became an international symbol for Freedom of Speech (against the oppressive censors).