Urgent need to decide on an external Plextor

I need to make a decision very quickly on which external Plextor DVD burner to get a friend buy for me in Kuala Lumpur (Plextors are essentially unavailable here in Thailand).

I believe that the Plextor PX-755UF and PX-760UF are ‘true’ Plextors. I’d be grateful for suggestions as to which of these 2 to get, or whether to go for the Plextor PX-810UF.

My priorities are burn quality and longevity, and the data I work with are, well, data (standard files for archiving) and videos.

Thanks in advance for any advice, as I’m years out of date when it comes to DVD burners (my last one was the PX-708A) and I’ve been largely computer-less since then, until now that is (I now have a Dell notebook).

PX-755 and 760 are mostly the same drive, but if you can get it, go for the 760. If not that, then the 755. Finally, the rebadged Pioneer, the 810.

The 810UF I think is a LG rebadged. The Pioneer rebadge is 810SA.

[quote=geekrule;1944569]The 810UF I think is a LG rebadged. The Pioneer rebadge is 810SA.[/quote]Glad someone can keep up with Plextor’s doings, because I can’t. :doh:

For real and rebadged drives look here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1941449-post39.html

You can save some more dough if you just replace the internal drive only instead of the whole thing, If your handy. Fry’s has one on sale in store right now! Good Luck

Thanks to all for the advice. (There are no Fry’s in Thailand, though, unfortunately.) I’ve always used internal drives, from a X2 Acer (CD-RW) to a X40 LiteOn to a Plextor 708A. But I need something to use with a new(ish) Dell notebook, and the external enclosures they sell here are a terrible trial – getting them to work with Windows is not merely hit and miss, it’s miss and miss and miss …

The best thing I found, actually, was a USB2.0 to IDE & SATA cable from a ‘brand’ named ‘L-Tek’. It worked flawlessly, but can no longer be found on the market. All other similar products available here are close to garbage, though they look the same from the outside (who sees/knows the electronics?) and claim to do the same thing – but mostly Windows doesn’t see them, or if it does has no idea what it’s seeing.

Hence getting a ‘real’ external burner, despite the expense, has become a deep desire.

[QUOTE=justsatorn;1945892]The best thing I found, actually, was a USB2.0 to IDE & SATA cable from a ‘brand’ named ‘L-Tek’. It worked flawlessly, but can no longer be found on the market. All other similar products available here are close to garbage, though they look the same from the outside (who sees/knows the electronics?) and claim to do the same thing – but mostly Windows doesn’t see them, or if it does has no idea what it’s seeing.
[/QUOTE]

In Thailand are no external enclosures available? :eek: That is shocking. I have external enclosures made by MacPower and Mapower (no typo! on is with “c” the other without!) and this enclosures never made trouble with Windows 2K/XP. As bridge chip I have good experience with Prolific 3507, GLE811-04.
I build all my odd in external enclosures by myself since I wanted an internal power supply in the external enclosure, and enclosures with internal PSU are not so easy to find like the ones with external PSU.

Thanks for the information, TM – I’ll try to make (successful) use of it. Yes, external enclosures are easily found here – they are cheap Chinese-made items without brand-names or with made up and very temporary brand-names. And the cheap, unidentified electronics they use mean that your chances of Windows recognizing the enclosed drive is somewhere between very slim (it does happen, but even then it tends to be intermittent) and zero.

It’s the nature of the 3rd-world market – cheapness is the determining factor as to whether people buy things, and therefore as to what is available on the market.

Mostly, if you want quality components, you need to buy online from places in the US, Australia, Japan or perhaps Europe. And to do this you need a credit card (most people here don’t have them) and not just that but a credit card that will be accepted outside Thailand (most online stores won’t accept Thai issued credit cards because of the high degree of fraud (or so I’m told)).

The easiest thing to do here if you want something that’s good quality and small market is to go shopping in Singapore (or Hong Kong).

I actually think that there are no real high quality external enclosures. If you have one of a well known company then they just put their label on and the harware is the same as in the cheapest non branded no name someting enclosures. So I don’t think it is worth to spend extra money for that.