Urgent- Hard Drive Problems - Please Help!

This is some story, HAHA, yer NO kiddin’. sorry its so big, but this is whats happened to me today. i ordered a new graphics card off ebay, & it came today. but first, i had a 250gb samsung sp2504c sata hdd in my pc. an old pc, & my graphics card(ati 9800xt). i then took out an old hard drive from an old pc(2.1gb western digital caviar 12100 ata) & installed it into my pc. when i put the computer together & tried to boot up, it tried to boot the wrong os (the one on the ata drive - windows 98). i then recieved an error that said: CANNOT FIND DEVICE FILE, THE REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE BUT NO LONGER EXISTS. IF YOU STILL WANT TO USE THE APPLICATION ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVICE FILE. TRY REINSTALLING THAT APPLICATION TO REPLACE THE MISSING FILE… the file was: c:\progra~1
orton~1\savrt.vxd …BUT THATS NOT ALL. (JUST BEAR WITH ME) i then took 2.1gb drive out the pc & tried to boot with the hard drive i had been using, without a hitch for 6 weeks since i got it might i add. but when i booted with my usual drive it went fine until, it came to the screen where it says windows xp, before you log in. it then kept cuuting out & going back to the post screen. i tried last good configuration, safe mode, start windows normally, but NOTHING. when i tried safe mode, i recieved ANOTHER error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL. it then said something about if you have installed hardware or software please remove it & try again. or something again. i ended up installing xp onto the 2.1gb hdd after i tried everything. after a while i was able to get it to recognize both hard drives. when i go to my computer the 2 drives are present. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT HAS WENT WRONG, PLEASE HELP. is there a way to copy whatever was missing from the 2.1gb to the 250gb?? also, if im stuck with it please tell me how to be able to play games, music, films etc… 1 LAST THING. IS THERE A WAY I CAN TRANSFER MY SETTINGS(UPDATES,THEME MANAGER,WALLPAPERS, MAYBE SOME PROGRAMS ETC. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS & HOPEFULLY ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE.

This is some story, HAHA, yer NO kiddin’. sorry its so big, but this is whats happened to me today. i ordered a new graphics card off ebay, & it came today. but first, i had a 250gb samsung sp2504c sata hdd in my pc. an old pc, & my graphics card(ati 9800xt). i then took out an old hard drive from an old pc(2.1gb western digital caviar 12100 ata) & installed it into my pc. when i put the computer together & tried to boot up, it tried to boot the wrong os (the one on the ata drive - windows 98). i then recieved an error that said: CANNOT FIND DEVICE FILE, THE REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE BUT NO LONGER EXISTS. IF YOU STILL WANT TO USE THE APPLICATION ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVICE FILE. TRY REINSTALLING THAT APPLICATION TO REPLACE THE MISSING FILE… the file was: c:\progra~1
orton~1\savrt.vxd …BUT THATS NOT ALL. (JUST BEAR WITH ME) i then took 2.1gb drive out the pc & tried to boot with the hard drive i had been using, without a hitch for 6 weeks since i got it might i add. but when i booted with my usual drive it went fine until, it came to the screen where it says windows xp, before you log in. it then kept cuuting out & going back to the post screen. i tried last good configuration, safe mode, start windows normally, but NOTHING. when i tried safe mode, i recieved ANOTHER error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL. it then said something about if you have installed hardware or software please remove it & try again. or something again. i ended up installing xp onto the 2.1gb hdd after i tried everything. after a while i was able to get it to recognize both hard drives. when i go to my computer the 2 drives are present. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT HAS WENT WRONG, PLEASE HELP. is there a way to copy whatever was missing from the 2.1gb to the 250gb?? also, if im stuck with it please tell me how to be able to play games, music, films etc… 1 LAST THING. IS THERE A WAY I CAN TRANSFER MY SETTINGS(UPDATES,THEME MANAGER,WALLPAPERS, MAYBE SOME PROGRAMS ETC. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS & HOPEFULLY ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE.

looks like some drivers and ini/startup files went tits up.

o/t… I get problems with booting and i usually have to choose diagnostic startup in msconfig, uninstalled grfx cards, install most basic drivers that came with card, and some other shiss.

it wouldnt even let me log in. everything was working great until i installed the catalyst drivers etc, & tried to install that hard drive. do you know if i can transfer whatever was lost to my main 250gb hard drive? how can i use the 250gb again as it has everything on it. movies, games, music, pictures, about £800 of programs. i want to get rid of the 2.1gb & just use the 250gb as my only drive, but it wont boot up!! any ideas? thanks

Try Booting from your XP CD and replace the missing files and drivers on your 250gb HD and it should boot up and work again. :slight_smile:

i dont know what files to replace or how to use the recovery console. any ideas? i have everything stored on my 250gb hard drive, games, music, films, loads of programs. i cant really afford to lose these & would REALLY appreciate it if you could help. when i try & do a search for this, my computer says the page cant be displayed…DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL THANK YOU

can i do the diagnostic in msconfig even though im logged on with the 2.1gb hdd?? would it affect the 250gb hdd, as thats the one with everything on it(windows xp,games,music,videos,programs,pictures etc…? if i can get the 250gb to boot again, i would just forget about installing the 2.1gb, even though i wanted it as a back up for my installers & windowsxp in case anything like this happened… THANK YOU - ANY HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED…ESPECIALLY SINCE IM SO CLOSE TO THROWING THE WHOLE PC IN THE BINl…LOL

neild don’t crosspost every question you ask you make atleast 2 threads 1 is sufficient

@neild70. One thread is sufficient for your question. Please read the forum rules. Threads mergerd.