Upscaling "Old" DVD to 1080p in Windows

Hi,

for all of you HD guys out there that want to see their current DVD collection in windows xp or vista, there´s a simple way of doing this.

Everyone knows that Windows Media Center will not play DVD in HD. So the easiest way of doing this free is finding a codec that can upscale your old dvds to 1080.

If you use ffdshow and windows media player, then you are able to watch dvd in 1080 on any screen that can support the high resolution.

I currently have a HTCP Vista that I use to upscale to a 42 inch Plasma. I dont use the Media Center function to watch dvd as Microsoft blocks for HD in Media Center. Instead I use plain old media player and ffdshow…(Remember that high resolution comes thru a HDMI connection)

I get HD on a 42´Plasma watching normal dvds.

ffdshow is free and can be downloaded from here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm

Good luck

I am using Window Media Player with ffdshow as decoder in my PC in my NVidia 8600GT DVI output connected to my 32" LG HDTV VGA input ( somehow, this set up provides better result than if I connect to HDMI input).

When I compared with stand alone Samsung DVD player, I notice the PC playback is better but not so much so I proceeded to do more tweaking on ffdshow ( increase resolution upscaling to 1920x1080.

But it seems that the changes I am putting into ffdshow does not effect the playback at all. Initially I thought that it is working and already improves the playback of DVD to my LG 32" HD TV at 1080 but when I uninstall ffdshow and let Windows Media Player use its own decoder, the result is the same. No degradation or improvement for that matter.

I reinstalled ffdshow again and this time, I can select the ffdshow video decoder in the WMP options. But when I tweak ( upscale, downscale, change aspect ratio ), there is no effect whatsoever in the playback.

Is there any step I am missing? Please help. Thanks!

[QUOTE=brantdk;2076509]… If you use ffdshow and windows media player, then you are able to watch dvd in 1080 on any screen that can support the high resolution.

[B]I get HD on a 42´Plasma watching normal dvds.[/B]…[/QUOTE]
No you don’t, no matter what you do normal DVDs will never be [B]HD[/B].

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2240492]No you don’t, no matter what you do normal DVDs will never be [B]HD[/B].[/QUOTE]

agreed, but can upscale so it looks better…

[QUOTE=randomkid;2240081]I am using Window Media Player with ffdshow as decoder in my PC in my NVidia 8600GT DVI output connected to my 32" LG HDTV VGA input ( somehow, this set up provides better result than if I connect to HDMI input).

When I compared with stand alone Samsung DVD player, I notice the PC playback is better but not so much so I proceeded to do more tweaking on ffdshow ( increase resolution upscaling to 1920x1080.

But it seems that the changes I am putting into ffdshow does not effect the playback at all. Initially I thought that it is working and already improves the playback of DVD to my LG 32" HD TV at 1080 but when I uninstall ffdshow and let Windows Media Player use its own decoder, the result is the same. No degradation or improvement for that matter.

I reinstalled ffdshow again and this time, I can select the ffdshow video decoder in the WMP options. But when I tweak ( upscale, downscale, change aspect ratio ), there is no effect whatsoever in the playback.

Is there any step I am missing? Please help. Thanks![/QUOTE]

If I coulld honest, I got a PS3 and am not using a medie center anymore. The PS3 can stream from my synology in almost any format and resolution right out of the box. My medie center is only used to record tv programs that I then stream to my xbox 360. I dont have a computer in the living room anymore.
The PS3 is best for movies, music and medies while the Xbox 360 is better for gaming because of the firmware that you can get dvd drives :slight_smile:

Well… I finally moved on to MPC and got better control on the ffdshow settings. Now I’m sure that ffdshow configuration is being used and any tweaking I do effects the playback…

I resize the DVD playback to 1920x1080. There is remarkable improvement versus standard DVD but I guess it wont be near as good as PS3 or xbox in real HD. But it’s a start. Still saving up money for either PS3 or xbox.

[QUOTE=brantdk;2241029]agreed, but can upscale so it looks better…[/QUOTE]

That is a question of the perspective…

[QUOTE=chef;2241394]That is a question of the perspective…[/QUOTE]

OK…it looks better upsacled then from a normal dvd player…that shouldnt be that big a issue. You can clearly see that picture is alot clearer on a upscaled dvd then in standard dvd resolution.

[QUOTE=randomkid;2241294]Well… I finally moved on to MPC and got better control on the ffdshow settings. Now I’m sure that ffdshow configuration is being used and any tweaking I do effects the playback…

I resize the DVD playback to 1920x1080. There is remarkable improvement versus standard DVD but I guess it wont be near as good as PS3 or xbox in real HD. But it’s a start. Still saving up money for either PS3 or xbox.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 is better at movies then the Xbox360. The PS3 has build in upscaling and cover more formats then Xbox360.

Xbox360 doesnt have upscaling, but is great for gaming…I play alot more games with the xbox then with my PS3

Do yourself a favor and convert those VHS movies to DVD as the tape will deteriorate from the mechanical rubbing of the head against the tape, it’s just a matter of time. VHS is dead.