UPS and a car battery

vbimport

I use 900 and 1000 va UPS on my computers and the batteries only last from 1 to 2 years and it is cheaper to buy new UPS on sale than to replace the batteries. I would like to buy a car battery ( one of those no spill leak proof one) and wire both units into it. I know that it would power the UPS OK and if a power outage occurs it would run the computers for hours, but would the UPS units be able to charge the battery back up?
Has any one done this and how does it work out for you?:bigsmile:

heyyo G.Ivan i don’t know the answer to your question but in 6 more posts you will have “Resident” status wooooooohooooooo :bigsmile:

Good luck on your quest.

Google’s got tons of hits on this one. You might want to surf 'em a bit.

Thanks Guys

It looks great in your office under your desk.

I’ve got an older energizer UPS and I replaced the battery with a small/medium lawn/tractor battery and it works great. My UPS however isn’t powerful enough to handle my system while gaming, but 98% of the time I’m not gaming so fingers crossed.

The battery that I got was not sealed so all I needed to do was put a tray under it, but its very unlikely that it will boil.

Oh yeah, and your question about charging the battery, it will work fine the only thing is that it might take a day or so to fully charge the battery, but thats not a big deal.

That picture in Alans post is a pretty poor way of connecting the wires to the battery. The best way of doing that would be to use a proper terminal for the battery, they are cheap, like $2 each, they are sold seperate or together, but realize that one post is slightly bigger than the other, but I guess that they do make universal terminals.

Here are a couple examples

[QUOTE=alan1476;2164269]It looks great in your office under your desk.[/QUOTE]

That setup is a great way to start a fire and/or release toxic gases. :eek:

[QUOTE=CDan;2164325]That setup is a great way to start a fire and/or release toxic gases. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Hydrogen isn’t a problem unless it builds up but since hydrogen can migrate THROUGH solid metal this usually isn’t much of a problem unless you provide a source of ignition next to the source
(like smoking a cigarette next to a car battery on a rapid charger)

The REAL danger is Hydrogen Sulfide which if you do a little research is actually more toxic than Cyanide Gas (Hydrogen Cyanide), but (and this is the good part…) while only about 30% of humans can smell cyanide EVERYBODY can smell Hydrogen Sulfide…

Those people who can smell cyanide can only smell it just before it reaches the toxic threshold, people can detect hydrogen sulfide when it is only present in parts per billion… around 1/1000th of the toxic level.

It is a concern? yep.

Is it as much a concern as the side-effects of the STRESS created
by losing data from even a momentary power outage? I really
sincerely doubt it.

If you ARE worried put the batteries in a coleman cooler that you have modified by attaching a length of ELECTRIC (plastic) clothes drier exhaust ducting and that you force ventilate with a fan.

Using the aluminum duct intended for Gas driers can get ugly because of what hydrogen sulfide does to aluminum.

BTW1 buy a used coleman cooler at a garage sale or thrift store, buying a new one is kinda silly if you are going to cut a 4" hole in it for the muffin fan
then store a couple lead acid batteries inside…

BTW, don’t bother running the fan off the 12V side, batteries produce
their toxic gasses when being charged, Hydrogen when being charged normally, hydrogen sulfide when being overcharged (or charged when the water level is low.)
Do pay careful attention because while most UPS’s have multiple batteries
they can use either 6V or 12V batteries.

I’ve seen UPS units that run off any voltage between 12 and 48V
using various battery setups you must do the same.

AD