Upgrading

I have a TDK 241040B, whcih i know is a relabelled Liteon, so hence i am posting my qustion here.

Can i flash my TDK so that is become and behaves like a proper Liteon?

If i can make it into a Liteon, then will i be in a position to upgrade it further say to a 32X or an i dreaming?

Pls help, and before anyone says anything i have searched high and low in the forum, and since “TDK” cannot be used as a search paramater cos u need more than 3 letters, i am a bit up the canal with no boat! If that makes any sense!

Ps i have looked at this thread and that was has sparked my interest:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55224

You can turn it into a LiteOn yes, but you can’t upgrade its speed.
Read OC-Freak’s MTKFlash tutorial and get 5S5A binary here.

Thanks Airhead

Just one more question pls.

I have no reservations about making my TDK into a Liteon, except that by doing so, am i really serving any purpose?

The fact my TDK is a repackaged Liteon, does it mean that its performance will be any lesser?

In otherwords, if i go through the long process of making the changes will i benefit when it comes to backing up my games that have protection?

Thanks in advanced.

Originally posted by Unbreakable
[B]Thanks Airhead

Just one more question pls.

I have no reservations about making my TDK into a Liteon, except that by doing so, am i really serving any purpose?

The fact my TDK is a repackaged Liteon, does it mean that its performance will be any lesser?

In otherwords, if i go through the long process of making the changes will i benefit when it comes to backing up my games that have protection?

Thanks in advanced. [/B]

Someone must know the answer to the above??? Pls someone help!

OK, a while ago (actually it was my first mod) I created a windows flasher for the TDK 241040B that would upgrade it to modified 5S5A firmware. If you use it, you should get the benefits of converting it to a Lite-ON, but you can keep the TDK name so it will work with the NERO software that comes with the drive. I think that the only benefit to converting or upgrading is increased media compatibility. Let me know if you want the utility and where I should send it to if you want it.

Thanks for the info.

Have sent you a PM dhc014.