Upgrading PC Tower's Burner to BR - Should I get a BR ROM Now?

vbimport

I am planning to swap out my tower’s Sony Optiarc AD-7260S to, probably, this LG WH12LS30 in a week or two. I was wondering if I should also go ahead and swap out the Sony Optiarc ROM drive, which I rarely use. I want to burn HD tv shows and the like to BR and I actually do not own many discs. The LG BR burner that I would get is only $70 but I could use that for blank discs.

I’m not sure what you are asking.

You’re swapping out the 7260s for an LG blu ray buner. That much is clear. A 7260s is a dvd burner, not a ROM drive.

How does a Sony Optiarc ROM drive fit into it? A ROM drive is the normal designation for a drive that only reads disks, and doesn’t have burning capability. Do you mean that you have a blu ray ROM drive? Or is this a dvd/cd drive?

I think he’s upgrading the writer to Blu-ray and wants to know if it’s worthwhile upgrading the ROM drive to Blu-ray as well.

If that’s the case and you want to take the plunge now then I’d be inclined to go for two Blu-ray writers as the price differential on Newegg is only about $20.

Alternatively you could wait and see if the Blu-ray ROM drive prices drop any further as I don’t think these have quite bottomed out yet price wise.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2606095]I think he’s upgrading the writer to Blu-ray and wants to know if it’s worthwhile upgrading the ROM drive to Blu-ray as well.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what I am asking. So is there an advantage in having 2 BR writers as opposed to 1 RAM + 1 ROM? I probably won’t be doing any BR ripping.

Sorry for my lack of clarity.

[QUOTE=borat007;2606194]Yes, that is what I am asking. So is there an advantage in having 2 BR writers as opposed to 1 RAM + 1 ROM? I probably won’t be doing any BR ripping.

Sorry for my lack of clarity.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a bit of an off hand answer (and it’s not intended to be) but it really does depend on whether you think you have a need for it or not.

TBH if you’re not planning on using them frequently then there’s little benefit other than the added security of having a backup drive already in place in case one of them fails.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Is it safe to say that a DVD/BR-RAM writer can do everything that a DVD-ROM can (plus burn discs)? I’m trying to understand if I will even need a second drive, RAM or otherwise. If and when the LG BR burner dies I can just replace it. Am I making sense? I could just keep my current ROM drive, even though it can’t read Blu-ray.

If I may interject.

What drive (or what two drives) do your currently have? The Optiarc AD-7260S? Anything else? Because that’s a DVD burner, as Kerry pointed out, and a good one at that. Do you have another drive?

What drive (or two drives) are you trying to upgrade to? Are you trying to upgrade to a Blu-ray burner (which would also be a DVD burner)? Are you trying to upgrade to a BD combo drive (which could read Blu-ray discs, and be a DVD burner)?

I’d like to get a handle on if you currently have a DVD burner & a BD-ROM, a DVD-ROM drive and a BD-ROM drive, or just one drive, or what. If we can get some common lingo down, we can probably not advise you to buy something you already have. Also wouldn’t want you getting something that would be a waste. :bigsmile:

So be careful. You say “ROM”, we think “it can’t burn, and can only read”; you say “burner” or “writer”, we think “it can do anything”. You say “DVD”, we think “it can’t do Blu-ray”. You say “Blu-ray” or “BD”, we think “It can read anything, and if it’s a burner, write everything”.

Ok, my drives are: AD-7260S and Sony DDU1681S-0B (ROM).

I want to upgrade the AD-7260S to either a Blu-ray burner OR a BD Combo Drive (did not know about those - thanks, Albert:cool: ).

Thanks for that admonishment. I knew what I was talking about but I was clearly having trouble relaying the message(s).

Btw, I watch all of my programming on my home theater standalone BR player, if that helps.

Ahh…Okay, now I have you understood. :slight_smile:

If you only wanted to buy one drive to replace one drive, I would buy a Blu-ray writer to replace the DDU1681S instead. The AD-7260S is quite a nice DVD burner and a sufficiently good DVD reader in its own right. I feel like keeping the DVD-ROM drive instead would be slightly less beneficial, personally.

If you wanted to go out and replace both the DVD-ROM drive AND the DVD burner, then maybe a Blu-ray writer and Blu-ray reader/DVD writer combo would work well. In this case, at least one of the drives could be a decent LiteOn drive, which is what a number of folks here use to do very basic disc quality checks for their Blu-ray burns.

Now, back to the question at hand…should you? Sure. If you are ready to commit, prices are still slowly coming down, drives are pretty good at writing, and people are beginning to see what media is good/not so good. The LG drive you have selected as a possibility would probably work quite well for its task. But you don’t have to go all out and replace both drives quite yet. Quality scanning isn’t anywhere near a necessary requirement, so my suggestion of dual drives is far from necessary; the best way to test is to burn and see if it works. :iagree:

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps my safest bet is to get a Blu-ray writer and Blu-ray reader/DVD writer combo (“BD combo’” henceforth…please) to replace the DDU1681S. It may prove useful to have a BR reader in my PC for the inevitable troubleshooting that will accompoany my first few BD burns.

I searched Newegg for BD combo drives and here are the results. Does anyone have experience with a BD combo drive?

:[QUOTE=borat007;2606269]Is it safe to say that a DVD/BR-RAM writer can do everything that a DVD-ROM can (plus burn discs)? I’m trying to understand if I will even need a second drive, RAM or otherwise. If and when the LG BR burner dies I can just replace it. Am I making sense? I could just keep my current ROM drive, even though it can’t read Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

To answer that question, a Blu-ray writer like the LG WH12LS30 can in fact do everything a CD,DVD or BD ROM can do. It can burn and read BD-R’s, DVD’s and CD’s. You are correct,you do not have a need for a BD-ROM drive at all.

I would suggest you start out with high quality media and avoid potential problems from the start. “The best way to test is to burn and see if it works” gets real expensive real quick :).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2606312]…start out with high quality media and avoid potential problems from the start. “The best way to test is to burn and see if it works” gets real expensive real quick :).[/QUOTE]

TRUTH. So very true. Thanks for adding that. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2606313]TRUTH. So very true. Thanks for adding that. :)[/QUOTE]
Judging by the OP’s last post, it seemed there was still a little conceptual ambiguity re writer vs rom. Wanted to be sure it was understood that every writer is also a ROM drive. Always helps to remind of the potential grief that can be avoided by making good media choices, eh :).

[QUOTE=borat007;2606307]Thanks for the advice. Perhaps my safest bet is to get a Blu-ray writer and Blu-ray reader/DVD writer combo (“BD combo’” henceforth…please) to replace the DDU1681S. It may prove useful to have a BR reader in my PC for the inevitable troubleshooting that will accompoany my first few BD burns.

I searched Newegg for BD combo drives and here are the results. Does anyone have experience with a BD combo drive?[/QUOTE]
You can use your writer with your burning program’s verification function to help watch for problems. And run a transfer rate test to help catch an iffy burn. And play the video with PowerDVD or similar playback programs. None of the BD-ROM’s can do anything you do not already have with a burner. Unless you wish to do LDC/BIS quality scans and choose a writer that is not capable of that. Getting a Lite-On iHBS112/212 would give you everything wrapped up in one package.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2606359] Unless you wish to do LDC/BIS quality scans and choose a writer that is not capable of that. Getting a Lite-On iHBS112/212 would give you everything wrapped up in one package.[/QUOTE]

How about this Lite-On iHBS112-04 for $85 with no burning s/w? I think that a BD combo is the right choice for me but I don’t necessarily need to do quality scans. What is the best BD combo burner for around $100 (don’t need burning s/w)?

Eh. If you’re focus is on getting two drives, I’d say just go for the LG BD burner & the LiteOn BD burner.

You won’t save much by going for a BD combo as the second drive, and with the LiteOn BD burner you found (as deanwitty said) you gain the ability to run a quality scan (should you ever need it). Plus, you would have two completely different burner designs that should be able to handle a wide variety of media well, no matter if it is BD, DVD, or CD. (Maybe the LiteOn could handle a pack of dodgy discs with better quality than the LG, and vice versa).

You’d stay under the $100 mark per drive either way, so it might be a worthwhile investment. :iagree:

Some very good points there Albert. :iagree:

If it were me I’d go for the two burners but needless to say everyone has different priorities.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Albert;2606381]Eh. If you’re focus is on getting two drives, I’d say just go for the LG BD burner & the LiteOn BD burner.

[/QUOTE]

My plan is to just get 1 BD combo burner to replace my Sony DDU1681S ROM drive. So that would leave me with the Sony Optiarc AD-7260S DVD burner and whichever BD combo burner. I don’t know which one to choose but I want to keep the total at approx. $100 before S&H. Newegg has this Samsung SH-B123L with 2 mb cache for $60. I honestly do not know if that is a good BD combo or not but the price is right. If my only choices for a BD combo were here on this Newegg page, is there a “clear winner”? I probably won’t ever need the quality scan compatability but if the “best” BD combo has this feature then that’s fine.

So, you want to burn Blu-ray media? None of those drives in the link to the Newegg search for “BD combo drives” will do. At that point, I would go back to the LG from the first post. No particular reason I’m suggesting the LG other than maybe it being a bit cheaper and (potentially) a bit faster. The LiteOn would do just as well.

If you don’t want to burn Blu-ray media, THEN you go for the BD combo drive like the Samsung SH-B123L.

You’re right - I don’t know what I was smoking but I assumed that a “BD combo” drive would be capable of both burning AND reading BD media. So now I’m back to the LG WH12LS30 BR burner (also a reader - just a reminder to myself) which is a good price and has good reviews. Now, do I keep my current AD-7260S burner or the DDU1681S reader, or neither?

Btw, thanks to all for walking me through this!

Keep the AD-7260S, just for the heck of having a good, capable DVD and CD burner/reader. The Optiarc may even prove more valuable (in quality and speed) than the LG when it comes to CD and DVD media in general, though you might not notice unless you analyzed things too closely. It might also mean less wear and tear on the LG if you don’t use Blu-ray more frequently than the other types of media.

Let go of the DDU1681S; it seems inherently less valuable, since it can only read.

(edited for clarity)