Upgrading my Acer Aspire 5920G - adding RAM, is it worth it?

vbimport

Hi!

I’m considering upgrading my Acer Aspire 5920G. I’ll supply you with some technical details:

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7300
Mobo Chipset: Intel PM (65
RAM currently installed: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 PC2-5300 (333Mhz)
Free memory slots available: 0

I did some scanning, and it turns out that a memory upgrade to 4GB (OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 PC6400 CL5.0 Value) will cost me about EUR 60.

My question to you guys: is the performance upgrade worth the money?

I’m currently using my laptop more and more to play games (WOW :o ) and I find it becoming a bit slow in the day to day use.

Thanks for you input :bow:

Vista 64-bit can see and make use of 4Gb Ram even to share as video Ram. IMO the memory upgrade will improve performance; but (WOW) does not tax you memory that much.

Logitacer, you can try booting into your bios and configuring the ram to allocate more to the onboard graphics. Its probably set to 128mb, you can increase that up to 512mb, it may help a little.

If you still want to buy memory, you will have to make sure its SODIMM type. this is a pretty good deal Crucial 4GB (2X2GB KIT) 200-PIN DDR2 PC2-6400 SODIMM £64.97 inc vat

[QUOTE=eric93se;2471209]Logitacer, you can try booting into your bios and configuring the ram to allocate more to the onboard graphics. Its probably set to 128mb, you can increase that up to 512mb, it may help a little.
[/QUOTE]

Hi!

Thanks for your tip - I checked out my bios but all I found was that 256mb was assigned to graphics (Nvidia Gforce 8600M GT)- and I could not increase it in any way :frowning:

It’s not that I really NEED to buy extra RAM, but I really want to give this laptop some extra performance since I currently don’t have the money to buy something completely new :slight_smile:

Thanks for your tip on SODIMM, alsmost forgot about it! :doh:

So in euros that would be something around EUR75 for a RAM memory upgrade… maybe I’ll save something more and get myself an SSD drive then…

Thanks again :slight_smile:

No way to increase video Ram for most laptops, Faster Ram and HDD might improve performace slighty. A SSD drive is a costly upgrade with limited space for storage. Upgradeing Ram would improve performace for some applications and games. Ram is often a cheap upgrade but it looks like you have no empty slots so you need to toss 2 GB to upgrade. You may consider selling your laptop before investing more money on it.
Hard to inderstand why this pricey laptop came with such a small HDD and so little Ram, My 5530G came with much more for 1/2 the price.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2472835]
Hard to inderstand why this pricey laptop came with such a small HDD and [B]so little Ram[/B], My 5530G came with much more for 1/2 the price.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you, although I own this laptop for almost 2,5 years now - and RAM prices have decreased dramatically just after I bought this unit :frowning:

Hard disk size is hardly the problem, since for most storage I don’t need on-the-go (HD movies, etc) I use an external HDD.

I guess selling might be the best solution, but I still need a laptop and I’m not sure what people will pay for this one :frowning:

Vista is one of the reasons its slow, buying a new OS is not cheap though. I know in the US there are really good deals on Windows 7 for students and people in tech fields.

But with buying new ram you can at least sell the old ram on ebay or whatever, probably re-coup half the money.

You can speed up your PC a little by defragging it. A good tool is Auslogics disk defrag (its free) Link, before running it use the options menu and select for it to move system files to the begining of the disk.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2472920]Vista is one of the reasons its slow, buying a new OS is not cheap though. I know in the US there are really good deals on Windows 7 for students and people in tech fields.
[/QUOTE]

Thganks for this tip! I still have a legal student version of WindowsXP and I’m not troubled by downgrading. Still, since I would be switching from OS, I’m seriously considering upgrading to SSD also.

Could someone tell me if this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--Solid+State+Disk--Kingston+Technology-_-20139004) is a good deal?

And how about installation, is that hard to do?

Thanks for all your support!

A 500GB 7200rpm HDD would be a better pick for less money. IMO Vista or Windows 7 will not improve speed much over XP.

[QUOTE=Logitacer;2475129]Thganks for this tip! I still have a legal student version of WindowsXP and I’m not troubled by downgrading. Still, since I would be switching from OS, I’m seriously considering upgrading to SSD also.

Could someone tell me if this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--Solid+State+Disk--Kingston+Technology-_-20139004) is a good deal?

And how about installation, is that hard to do?

Thanks for all your support![/QUOTE]

The transfer rates that reviewers posted pretty much state the drive is not that fast. It will however help extend battery life.

A new HDD may speed you up. If you want you can download HD Tune Pro and run the benchmark and post a screen shot of the results Link its got a free trial. If your HDD is slow then upgrading it will make a nice difference, Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM or Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM would be good choices. An SSD drive would be a good choice too, but if your going to spend more for something like that it has to at least be a really fast model ( >100MB/s )

Hi eric93se and thanks for your support.
I’ll look into this in the upcoming weeks.

I guess adding RAM isn’t worth the money, so maybe I’ll look into buying a new hard disk drive, or maybe I’ll save a little more money and be getting myself a new laptop (some 13.3" models look very great, so expect more questions from me on that later!)

As a side note, my laptop currently suffers from overheating when I play games, sometimes it even shuts itself down completely. Is there anything I can do about this, or is this just because of its age?

You can try blowing compressed air into the openings along the sides and back to blow out any dust that has accumulated. Some laptops do run on the warm/hot side and its not a good thing really its just their cpu and chipset create a lot of heat.

A new laptop with Windows 7 and a decent video chipset would be nice :slight_smile: