Upgrading hard drive and keeping recovery partition hp dv6810em

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the HP Pavilion dv6810em Entertainment Notebook PC. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]I have purchased a 320gig sata 2 hdd to install into my hp pavilion dv6810em notebook. i am not sure how to transfer the recovery partition from current 250 gig hdd to new one. Thanks

[QUOTE=scottrrobbie;2308574][qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the HP Pavilion dv6810em Entertainment Notebook PC. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]I have purchased a 320gig sata 2 hdd to install into my hp pavilion dv6810em notebook. i am not sure how to transfer the recovery partition from current 250 gig hdd to new one. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Do you not somehow have the recovery cds??? That should be something you should get if you don’t have them. That is a better way to recovery your factory settings.

I used Seagate DiscWizard that’s a free download to make an image of the old drive and restore that image to the new drive on a Dell laptop. Note I made a boot CD to run DiscWizard from because you have no way to boot the computer after installing the new drive without some boot device.

You do know the factory recovery cds will reformat the HDD even a new HDD… Right…??? Before making any kinda of recovery cds for the laptop you should first get the recovery cds as that is what the laptop was setup with and has the drivers for your laptop.

DiscWizard will transfer all files and drivers if you create and restore image from old drive to new drive using an external drive to store the image and eliminate the extra time and steps to install anew.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2309457]DiscWizard will transfer all files and drivers if you create and restore image from old drive to new drive using an external drive to store the image and eliminate the extra time and steps to install anew.[/QUOTE]

Rather the restore cds would better suit and would eliminate any unforeseen problems that might arise. Since the OP only talks about the recovery partition they should just go with the restore cds from the factory that way they will get a band new fresh install matching their computer the day they bought it or turned it one for the first time. And also those cds will create a recovery partition as well but since you have the cds you don’t need to have a recovery partition anymore giving you more HDD spaces.

Coolcolors ~ Many manufacturers do not supply restore cd’s as has happened to me, so to keep telling him to do this may be counter productive. I agree that if he was supplied with these cd’s it would be the best option.

The restore CDs would better suit if one just enjoys reinstalling all apps installed since the PC was acquired, not to mention some that may have been downloaded and would have to try to be remembered as well as relocated to download again. Why go to all that time and trouble when programs like DiscWizard were designed to and do make it so much easier and faster.