Upgrading from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

Im sorry to post it here but i really need some expertise to help me on this.

Im using Window ME with Pentium III which comes with usb 1.1 and wanted to upgraded it with a PCI card to full speed usb 2.0.

Is it possible for this kind of upgrade and does the usb 2.0 port works well in Window ME and will be runs at full speed usb 2.0.

Thank you

Most of the PCI cards I’ve seen claim to support Win98, so you should be OK unless you run into driver conflicts. You might also consider a combo card for both USB2 and Firewire. NewEgg has a decent selection.

Hi,[quote=joanna78;2065920]
Im using Window ME with Pentium III which comes with usb 1.1 and wanted to upgraded it with a PCI card to full speed usb 2.0.

Is it possible for this kind of upgrade and does the usb 2.0 port works well in Window ME and will be runs at full speed usb 2.0.[/quote]Installing a PCI USB2.0 card is no problem.

Make sure, it has a NEC chipset since these are those with least compatibility problems. This is important since there are sometimes issues with older mainboard chipsets and some USB cards.

Also make sure, the card comes with drivers (or at least they should be available on the manufacturer’s support website). This is important, since some manufacturers stopped supporting Win98/ME and don’t add a driver disc to their cards. With some Goooogling, you might find drivers, but haveing them at hand immediately after installing the hardware is much more convenient.

About speed: Don’t expect more than 15 or 16 MBytes/sec (with NEC based card, Ali and possibly Via may be even slower).

Michael

If WinMe USB support is like Win98, USB functionality is not very good at all. It only works if you have drivers for each USB device connected. I have dual boot Win98SE and Win2k, and the USB printer works fine in Win98SE since I have drivers for it while an external USB DVD burner isn’t recognized nor are any USB flash drives recognized. All these devices work fine in Win2k with no need for drivers. I suggest upgrade to Win2k or WinXP if you want decent USB support.

Hi,[quote=bevills1;2066496]If WinMe USB support is like Win98, USB functionality is not very good at all. It only works if you have drivers for each USB device connected.[/quote]WinME has built-in USB mass storage support. An external burner, HDD, USB-stick or card reader works out of the box without the need of installing additional drivers.

I have dual boot Win98SE and Win2k, and the USB printer works fine in Win98SE since I have drivers for it while an external USB DVD burner isn’t recognized nor are any USB flash drives recognized.
There is an inofficial generic USB mass storage driver (derived from the WinME version):
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Michael

thank you for all the fast respong from al of you here in which im truly greatful for…

Im not very good in computers and i think it would be better if i get technician to install it for me even though i heard that its very easy to install it myself…

Thanks for all the helps here

Hi,[quote=joanna78;2066517]thank you for all the fast respong from al of you here in which im truly greatful for…[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Im not very good in computers and i think it would be better if i get technician to install it for me even though i heard that its very easy to install it myself…
Make sure, you get a card with NEC chipset installed. Refuse anything else.

Michael

Too bad those generic Win98 drivers cost $20, and I might get them if I were running Win98SE as only OS. However, in my circumstance I can just boot to Win2k when I want to use any devices for which I have no Win98 drivers.

Hi,[quote=bevills1;2067061]Too bad those generic Win98 drivers cost $20[/quote]:confused: I am not able to confirm that.
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php (Win98SE)
There is only a “donate” button, but they don’t charge any money for these drivers.

Michael

I mistakenly clicked on the link in the second paragraph at http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php which I now realize is $20 for a book on the subject. The drivers do indeed seem to be free. Have you any experience with the generic drivers, know anyone who has or know whether they supposedly work the same as WinMe USB which supposedly doesn’t require separate drivers for each USB device?

Edit: The site gives link to download version 4.10.2222, but clicking that link goes to a page showing 3.3 version with no 4.10.2222 that I can see. Am I missing something there, or does there appear to be some link error on the site?

Yes, I missed something. Upon reading the page at the link again I realized the 4.10.2222 version indicates Win98SE and has nothing to do with generic USB driver version.

Hi,[quote=bevills1;2067736]I mistakenly clicked on the link in the second paragraph at http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php which I now realize is $20 for a book on the subject.[/quote]Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Have you any experience with the generic drivers, know anyone who has or know whether they supposedly work the same as WinMe USB which supposedly doesn’t require separate drivers for each USB device?
I have had the 2.x driver version on my Win98SE system (now defunct since the HDD is connected to another controller). They worked. Had connected several DVD burners, a card reader, USB HDD and some USB sticks. No problem at all. I even could use DVD-RAM functionality together with Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers (old version from a LG GSA-4082B) :slight_smile:
I have no idea about the 3.x drivers with built-in USB2.0 drivers. Considering that they are also described as “generic”, I would prefer the 2.x drivers together with manufacturer drivers for the USB controller.
Also, I can confirm WinME has built-in USB mass storage support since my wife is still using her old WinME computer equipped with a NEC based USB2.0 add-on card :slight_smile: :iagree:

Cheers,
Michael

What is meant by “I would prefer the 2.x drivers together with manufacturer drivers for the USB controller?” Do you mean get individual drivers for each USB 2.0 flash drive, external DVD drive, etc.? I would suspect the 3.x drivers would work equally well as 2.x drivers with added USB 2.0 support. Anyway I plan to give it a try since you had success with 2.x drivers. Worst case scenario I can go back to original drivers if it fails to work.

Hi,[QUOTE=bevills1;2068440]What is meant by “I would prefer the 2.x drivers together with manufacturer drivers for the USB controller?” Do you mean get individual drivers for each USB 2.0 flash drive, external DVD drive, etc.? [/QUOTE]I think, the newer 3x drivers also bring some generic USB [I]controller[/I] drivers. And this is, what I do not want, personally.
That’s why I prefer the 2.x drivers for USB mass storage devices together with the already installed manufacturer drivers for the USB controller card (or onboard controller). But this might be a matter of taste.

Michael