Upgrading from Nero 5.5 to ...?

vbimport

Hello, I have been using nero 5.5 for a long time because it suited my needs and I saw no reason to upgrade to Nero 6 when I could already do what I wanted. Now I am getting new burners (NEC 3500, Liteon 1633S) that are not supported by Nero 5.5.

I really don’t see the point in paying another US$50 to get an actual Nero 6 Ultra license and I don’t want to pirate it. Also I find that the OEM version of Nero 6 that I already have is very annoying and it always keeps switching to the “Express” interface for some reason and I can’t get back into the regular interface? (LOL, maybe I’m just an idiot? I don’t know why the normal Nero shortcut suddenly starts loading the Express interface. :confused: )

So my question is, what other multipurpose burning program are out there that I should consider? Is Nero still the king? Does anyone know if the GEAR Software burning program is any good?

My needs are burning data and audio CDs, and data and video DVDs. I am not interested in game backups.

http://www.deepburner.com

I believe you can assemble a Video DVD in data format, just by putting the right folders and files on - see VSO’s DivxtoDVD for a (currently free) quick and dirty DVD encoder - no menus etc. - prepared VIDEO_TS folder out, from any format I’ve tried!

http://www.click-now.net/html/CDBurnerXP_Pro.htm - another possibility - there is a better homepage, but it seems to be down at the moment - www.cdburnerxp.se

Hey Jucius_Max…

I can appreciate not wanting to spend X-Tra cash on the upgrade for Nero, but IMO it’s worth it. Although I mainly use it for movies. I use Acoustica for audio. But thats cuz I had Acoustica before I got Nero. Acoustica does give free updates also. Are you sure Nero won’t give you a free or discounted up-grade? I honestly don’t know but it’s worth looking into. (if you haven’t already)

Mark

Was it a OEM version of 5.5?

Ben :slight_smile:

Yo-

In Nero 6 - have you tried to set the Configuration to “Nero Smart Start” instead of “Nero Express” ?

I have found that if you use Nero OEM that it gives you like 90% of Nero Ultra - and all of the features that I commenly use (I got an OEM version off of www.pricewatch.com for like $5 shipped) and it has serial number and is updateable, etc

Mike

Nope, I have the full complete version. I purchased the license directly through their website.

Thanks for your input. Normally Nero 6 costs $99 but because I bought the full version of Nero 5, I get it for ‘only’ $50.

Thanks for your input, I’ll have to check this out. I didn’t know about the configuration option. I wish I could run v5 and v6 side by side so I wouldn’t have to give up one for the other.

I actually have two legal copies of Nero 6 OEM because they came with two burners I bought.

Yo-

I got burned by the Nero 6.6.0.3 “bug” that said that my seriel number for my Nero 6 Ultra was not valid (I got it from them) - ofcourse my emails to them are unanswered (backlog??) - so I put in a OEM I had laying around - upgraded to 6.6.0.3 - and WALLA was back in business - so far I can’t really tell the difference - but I must admit that I use only a portion of it (wish I had found out about this before I spent the big bucks on Ultra…;-[

Mike

I actually have two legal copies of Nero 6 OEM because they came with two burners I bought.[/QUOTE]Hey Jucius…
I think you can do like Mike (Not be like Mike:bigsmile: ) and upgrade your OEM’s off the Nero site and you’ll be in business!!! And I believe that would be N/C!!! That is if you have a license # with the OEM’s.

Mark

I think you can do like Mike (Not be like Mike:bigsmile: ) and upgrade your OEM’s off the Nero site and you’ll be in business!!! And I believe that would be N/C!!! That is if you have a license # with the OEM’s.

Yo-

Thanks for the info. I did use the OEM serial on the download version and it worked, though it did not have full functionality. For example it won’t start the wave editor or DriveImage due to limitations of the current license.

Maybe I can live with this but I will have to check out Daemon Tools because I use DriveImage a lot.

Glad it worked for you and Happy Holidays to ya.

Mark