Upgrading from 17" CRT to 19" lcd

vbimport

Just wondering some basic information about upgrading my CRT monitor to an LCD monitor.

Comp:
AMD 3000 2.0ghz
1gb ram
ati x850xt agp (has the dual plugs)
optiquest v73 CRT montior (yep its old, but it works fine).

I’am kind of tired of viewing webpages in 1024x768 resolution and rather then upgrade to a 17" LCD I would rather just jump to a 19" LCD.

Now … my question is about “native” resolution’s on LCD…

If the native is around say 1280x1024 or 1440 x 900 and I normally play my games in 1024x768 (basically the max res of this monitor) … would I run into monitor graphic quality issues if I played a game on a LCD in 1024x768? Would I have to play a game in whatever the LCD monitors “native” resolution in order to make it look “nice”??

Right now im not a huge gamer, but occasionally I like to play a game when I get bored. So this would be more for general computer use, surfing, watching movies on etc. But if I tried to play a game in 1024x768 and the monitor appeared to have a low resolution / fuzzy appearance I would like to know.

My only other option would be to upgrade the entire computer to work with the LCD monitor. New motherboard, ram and video card ($800+). I could afford it, but this computer is working fine for me and I don’t really have a need right now to upgrade,… except the monitor.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read through this. I know it is kind of wordy and well im a newbie on this site and all that. But I would appreciate some honest answers about this.

[QUOTE=Nerve2499;2002658]
If the native is around say 1280x1024 or 1440 x 900 and I normally play my games in 1024x768 (basically the max res of this monitor) … would I run into monitor graphic quality issues if I played a game on a LCD in 1024x768? Would I have to play a game in whatever the LCD monitors “native” resolution in order to make it look “nice”??
[/QUOTE]
First it is always the best if you play your games in native resolution. Than you have the best quality of your game graphics.

If you do not use native resolution there may be two problems, I guess. If you buy a 4:3 or 5:4 than you would not have such problems. But if you buy a 16:10 TFT it may be possible your graphics card does not support the native resolution, or your game does not support 16:10.

I do not use a 16:10 display, since I do not watch movies on my PC. Therefore I have a 4:3 display. I play my games in native resolution. In my case it is no problem since my graphics card is not very old. I have a nVidia 7950GT.

[QUOTE=Nerve2499;2002658]
Right now im not a huge gamer, but occasionally I like to play a game when I get bored. So this would be more for general computer use, surfing, watching movies on etc. But if I tried to play a game in 1024x768 and the monitor appeared to have a low resolution / fuzzy appearance I would like to know.

My only other option would be to upgrade the entire computer to work with the LCD monitor. New motherboard, ram and video card ($800+). I could afford it, but this computer is working fine for me and I don’t really have a need right now to upgrade,… except the monitor.
[/QUOTE]

If you 'd buy a new board and video card, you can buy a complete new PC, since you need a new CPU and the perfect RAM for your new Mainboard. I’d recommend a “normal” 19" TFT with 1280x1024 resolution. You should not have any problems with your graphisc board since this is a standard resolution. If you buy a 16:10 TFT (since you’d like to watch movies on it) it may be possible your graphics board does not support your TFT native resolution. Maybe here is anybody who has also a X850GT and knows if this resolution is supported.

[QUOTE=Nerve2499;2002658]Just wondering some basic information about upgrading my CRT monitor to an LCD monitor.

Comp:
AMD 3000 2.0ghz
1gb ram
ati x850xt agp (has the dual plugs)
optiquest v73 CRT montior (yep its old, but it works fine).

I’am kind of tired of viewing webpages in 1024x768 resolution and rather then upgrade to a 17" LCD I would rather just jump to a 19" LCD.

Now … my question is about “native” resolution’s on LCD…

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read through this. I know it is kind of wordy and well im a newbie on this site and all that. But I would appreciate some honest answers about this.[/QUOTE]

First off check ATI site about the video card you currently have in your system if it can display those resolution on a LCD monitor that should be your first priority to find the AGP card resolution. This well then determine what kinda LCD monitor you can look for. ie I have a AGP 7600GS Nvidia that will display on a 17" LCD at 1280x1024 at 60Hz prefectly fine. So if you drivers are up to date you should be fine. But do check ATI site on the capabilities of you card to display on LCD monitor…

[QUOTE=TM;2002721]If you do not use native resolution there may be two problems, I guess. If you buy a 4:3 or 5:4 than you would not have such problems. But if you buy a 16:10 TFT it may be possible your graphics card does not support the native resolution, or your game does not support 16:10.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I took a look on LG’s webpage for the spec’s on monitors to compare 4:3, 5:4 and 16:10. Not really sure how all those different aspect ratios come to play in what you are viewing however.

No idea about the games supporting certain aspect ratios. Currently the one game that I play often is Guitar Hero 3. But I have games like Warcraft, doom 3 and Farcry. Can’t really run any new games… LOL.

[QUOTE=TM;2002721]If you 'd buy a new board and video card, you can buy a complete new PC, since you need a new CPU and the perfect RAM for your new Mainboard. I’d recommend a “normal” 19" TFT with 1280x1024 resolution. You should not have any problems with your graphisc board since this is a standard resolution. If you buy a 16:10 TFT (since you’d like to watch movies on it) it may be possible your graphics board does not support your TFT native resolution. Maybe here is anybody who has also a X850GT and knows if this resolution is supported.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah… forgot to add in a cpu to my list of parts… lol. The case and dvd burners are about the only things I could carry over. I think my power is 450w (Antec).

So if I buy a 1280x1024 “normal” 19 TFT and watch movies on it, what am I going to be expecting to see vs a monitor that supports this 16:10 ratio? How much of a diffence does it make?

Grabbed this from :
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx850/specs.html

2D DISPLAY MODES
Resolutions, colors and maximum refresh rates (Hz) in 256, 65K or 16.7M colors Monitor Resolution Hz
640x480
800x600 200
1024x768 200
1152x864 200
1280x1024 160
1600x1200 120
1920x1080** 16:9 120
1920x1200 100
1920x1440 90
2048x1536 85

**16:9 aspect ratio monitors are supported on 1920x1080 and 848x480 on Windows® XP, Windows® 2000 and Windows® ME. The complete list of resolutions depends on the driver version and operating system.
NOTE: resolutions are limited by the performance of the attached monitor.

MAXIMUM 3D RESOLUTIONS
65K colors 2048x1536
16.7M colors 2048x1536

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2002930]First off check ATI site about the video card you currently have in your system if it can display those resolution on a LCD monitor that should be your first priority to find the AGP card resolution. This well then determine what kinda LCD monitor you can look for. ie I have a AGP 7600GS Nvidia that will display on a 17" LCD at 1280x1024 at 60Hz prefectly fine. So if you drivers are up to date you should be fine. But do check ATI site on the capabilities of you card to display on LCD monitor…[/QUOTE]

Yeah I keep the ati drivers updated fairly regularly. Although, I doubt the new updates even have anything for my card now anyways… lol.

From what I see it is capable of it, but whether my computer can handle games on it, is another.

Otherwise, I would just save buying it and wait till I upgrade the whole system again.

Is there such a thing as a 17 inch having sharper images over an 19 inch because of the smaller dot pitch?

[QUOTE=Goit;2003125]Is there such a thing as a 17 inch having sharper images over an 19 inch because of the smaller dot pitch?[/QUOTE]

good question. I just figured 19" would be the better upgrade … just because its bigger then a 17" … lol.

Currently im looking at Firingsquad.com’s $500 computer system … lol.

[QUOTE=Goit;2003125]Is there such a thing as a 17 inch having sharper images over an 19 inch because of the smaller dot pitch?[/QUOTE]

IMO the difference or size of the pixels is does not have any effect on the sharpneess. I had a 17" and a 18.1" TFT and I did not see any sharpnees problems on my larger 18.1" TFT in comparsion to the 17" TFT. Both had ther same resolution of 1280x1024.

A 17" TFT has 0,264 x 0,264 mm pixels a 19" TFT has 0,294 x 0,294 mm pixels (information taken from Philips homepage). I guess the size difference of the pixels is not that big that you find a 17" TFT has more sharpness…

If I’d buy a TFT I’d look for the display technology. I do not buy TFTs with TN panels… I prefer IPS, PVA or MVA panels but this is an other story and was not the question :disagree:

I have a normal 19" Hanns-G LCD at the normal 1440x900 resolution and everything is always perfect. I use the regulation DVI cable. The only thing I do not like about all LCD displays, is the damn sweet spot. You can not wander very far away from center to maintain picture quality. This does not matter on a PC, but I would never get one of these for a TV set. You can not spread people around the room.