Upgrading dvd to plextor716a which way to go?

vbimport

I just purchased the plextor 716a. I have a dell dimension with a dvd rom drive and cdr drive. The dell rep said I could connect the plextor 716a as a 3rd secondary drive to the hard drive. I have also heard I can purchase an external enclosure. Since I consider you guys here the experts, what’s your take on this? I really would like to keep the the dvd rom for copying my movies and the cdr has never failed me. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

I would make the 716a is Master and dvdrom as slave in the same IDE channel. Seperate harddrives in another ide channel. Let the cdrom take a rest for a while. Never combine optical drive and harddrive in the same IDE channel. Good luck.

I agree with zevia. There is no need to keep the CD-ROM, both your other drives can take over the the reading of CD(-R/RW) media. If you were to put your PX-716A in an external enclosure there is chance that its performance will be limited because of the interface (USB2.0 or FireWire). Good luck!

I should take out the cd-rw and replace it with the PX-716A and use this with the dvd drive right?

IMHO, swap out the CDR drive and store it safe as a backup, then put in the 716a.

I would first install the PX-716A as single device on the Secondary IDE, MASTER position. If that works, add another drive as SLAVE and see if the drive still works allright. Good luck :wink:

Put the CD-RW drive in an enclosure ( Firewire would probably be the best bet)if you want to use it for you CDs.

Actually,
you could also install the 716A as the master and leave out the dvdrom drive.

When I intalled mine, I had a dvd rom as a slave but noticed that the plextor
slowed down a bit in read/write…

I was told by plextor techs to try and keep the 716A as the only device
on the 2nd IDE for full write/speed operation…

[some here may argue that point but I usually will try something once and since all P/C’s are not equall, advice here is 50-50…Good but not always quaranteed. something to keep in mind here.

Since I don’t really need to [B]do disk to disk copying, I just let it write to the hard drive] I removed my dvd rom and my read/write speeds went back to original…
I use verbatim 16x +r and when I would do testing, I never quite got it to the 16x level until I pulled the rom out…

Have burned over 80 movies using dvd dycrypt and shrink and haven’t had a coaster yet…
Also do a write test and it usually ends the test above 16x…
Using firmare 1.04…
Have not jumped to the latest 1.05 yet for 2 reasons…
reading pro/con here about it and I’m cruising along fine so far with 1.04 so think I’ll wait and see…

Thanks to everyone for taking the time out to offer your suggestions.

Why not? I currently have a DVD-ROM connected as the slave to my primary IDE channel. My Plex 716A is the master on the secondary IDE channel, with a TDK CD-R as the slave.

I use the DVD-ROM to rip discs to my hard drive, and put a blank the the Plex. Makes for easy, one-step back ups.

Am I doing any potential harm to my PC? Using XP pro with Sp2.

Nope, nothing wrong with that, won’t damage anything.

The reason stems from Windows 3.1, where such a combo would drag down the speed of the HD to that of your CD drive, but that no longer is much of an issue.

The only issue now is that you don’t want to be reading from one device and writing to a burner at the same time on one channel - You’re not doing that so your setup is fine.

Disclaimer: All of the above is subject to how good/crap your motherboard is :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ve been slowing transitioning to sata only devices (floppy now is sata also)

i found the heat issued by ata cables justifies the transition to sata (assumming you can do this)

also sata devices will bandwidth will peak higher then the old ata standard based on the same equipment, which are my experiences in the lab. which has partilly to do with the depended i\o chip sata controllers have.

now if you were to install it on a ata cable i’d get rid of any other drive but the 716 bc you’d be consumming protentionl bandwidth / problems for no reason.

the 716 is capable of doing everything that you will need to do on the computer for an average / buisness user. the 716’s ripping speed will also rip the dvds faster then a dvd reader is capable to anyways. (to HDD)

That’s weird - Our testing found that generally SATA has such little performance difference over ATA that it can be accounted for in the error…
We suspect this is because 90% of SATA drives (Including the 716A) are just ATA drives with a SATA bridge onboard. The pure SATA drives (Mostly only the expensive new HD’s at this point in time) are the only ones that show noticable performance increases.

At the moment 'tho, we tend to stick with ATA - Maybe I’m just unlucky but SATA has been a bloody compatibility nightmare so far. The fact that you need a driver floppy just to install Windows and Linux on most (all?) SATA hard disks is a PITA, and even then different combinations of drivers and SATA hardware yield wildly differing degrees of stability and compatibility…

In fact, the only thing I really like about SATA at the moment are the longer thinner cables - If they could have made it 100% backwards compatible with ATA instead of 80% I’d be a lot happier…

we program for the i\o chips themselves… and try to avoid general programming when dealing with hardware bc your’ll get lower performance. sata is abit diff to program for since its totally different from ata way of data communication… once you get into the bits and bytes

and the 716a shines at dvd ripping we timed it at 39mb \ sec :wink: beating the pioneer dvd rom at 22mb \ sec sustained. (under ideal considions of course)

At the moment 'tho, we tend to stick with ATA - Maybe I’m just unlucky but SATA has been a bloody compatibility nightmare so far. The fact that you need a driver floppy just to install Windows and Linux on most (all?) SATA hard disks is a PITA, and even then different combinations of drivers and SATA hardware yield wildly differing degrees of stability and compatibility…

Linux maybe, windows xp no. You don’t need any kind of ‘driver’ software for it to see sata HD.