Upgraded Firware - DL no longer supported?

Hello all. I am brand new to the forum. I am not a computer freak by any menas but I am pretty knowledgable. I have been backing up movies for a while now and I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. I rarely have a problem and have been satisfied so far.

Last week, I upgraded my drive’s firmware. I have a GSA-H31N that came with my Dell XPS-410. I upgraded it because I was having trouble with a disc and saw there was a newer firmware version - B110.

Before I upgraded the firmware, I am positive the drive would write DVD+RDL. I don’t normally use DL discs but I tried to today. When I try to write to the DL now I get a message that says the source data is too large.

The source ISO is 6.91GB and I do have a DVD+RDL disc in there. I have also written the discs in the past.

I used DISCInfo to read my drive capabilities and it DOES NOT list DVD+RDL. However, if I use DVD Identifier it shows DVD+R DL option check in green, so I assume it shows I can write DVD+R DL discs.

I may be doing something wrong on the software end, but I have a funny feeling It is the firmware upgrade. Is it possible to lose write capabilities with a firmware upgrade?

What do you guys need from me to help me fix my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

PS - Oh I also just downloaded the B109 firmware - is it possible to flash the firmware in reverse and go back to an older version or is that a bad idea asking for problems? Right now, I can still backup DVD’s on single layer discs so I don’t want to lose all functionality.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It could well be that the destination needs to be set to DVD9 (or DL). Edit: I see you’re using CloneDVD2 :slight_smile:

Also, what brand and speed are the DL discs you have?

Hello! Thank you for the reply. What do you mean by destination? When I backup, I first make a ISO file (in that setting I select either DVD-5 or DVD-9 for the size) and then I use “write existing data” using the ISO file to the DVD drive. If I remember correctly, the drive would recognize that the disc was DL.

The DL discs I have are Verbatim DVD+R DL, 8.5GB, 2.4X speed.

I have already used them successfully. It has been a while since I used a DL disc though - perhaps I made a mistake on a setting in CloneDVD2?

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

It’s been awhile since I used CloneDVD2 - but when it comes to burning the ISO, there must be a setting in Clone somewhere that asks what kind of disc you’re buning the ISO to, DVD5 or DVD9?

It’s the only thing I can think of, as the discs should be just fine.

Can you try burning the ISO with something like ImgBurn, if you can’t find such a setting in CloneDVD2?

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome on board Calaski8123. :iagree: :clap:
OK you are right that you set the size when compiling the iso etc.
Your drive should be capable of DL burning regardless of f/w. (That is with regards to Vebatim).
Yes the burner can tell if the media is SL or DL.
But s/w can still control the file size prior to be written to final destination (in case media).
Shouldn’t be the case here though.
The burn speed & possible the support for lesser known media might well be a different story.

Hello. As for how I control the size, when I put the original DVD in the drive to make the ISO, I select what size the output will be. I usually use DVD5, but when I want to use a DL disc I use DVD9. I have burned a DL disc before using the same software - actually no - I use to use DVD43 instead of AnyDVD. I don’t think that would make a difference though would it?

Anyway, the ISO is under 7GB and the DL DVD’s are 8.5GB so size should not be wrong.

The only difference between the last DL disc I burned was the firmware upgrade and the use of AnyDVD.

Is it possible to flash the drive with the old B109 firmware? Is that a bad idea? I appreciate the help so far. Please keep the suggestions coming.

I am not against trying a different software either, but I am really only familiar with CloneDVD2 - and I like it. It is simple to use and for the most part I have not had any problems with it at all.

Jim

I would try ImgBurn just to rule out s/w. (or not).
The f/w shouldn’t be the problem.
As for AnyDVD you could try running in safe mode.
AnyDVD should be the ideal partner for CloneDVD.

OK I will try IMGBurn. I am not familiar with it. Is there a trial version I can download to see if it works?

Jim

[QUOTE=Calaski8123;2077378]OK I will try IMGBurn. I am not familiar with it. Is there a trial version I can download to see if it works?

Jim[/QUOTE]

IMGBurn is a freeware :bow:

[QUOTE=Calaski8123;2077378]OK I will try IMGBurn. I am not familiar with it. Is there a trial version I can download to see if it works?

Jim[/QUOTE]

Imgburn is freeware, easy to use best burning program paid or not.

WOW - Very cool. I like when good programs are also free! :iagree::clap:

I’ll try it tonight when I get home from work.

OK, I got the program and I tried to burn the image I already made but I got an error about it did not know where to put the break in for dual layer or something.

I then went to make a new image by selecting make image from disc. It is doing it now but I have two questions:

1. I did not see where I would select the size. Does this program just make a 100% copy with no shrink?

2. The disc I am backing up is the John Adams HBO series. It is episodes, so the dual layer break is probably not there… each episode is probably on a different layer so could that be my problem here? Sorry for not mentioning that if it is important.

Thanks,

Jim

Try checking out the guides.
to be found here.

As for layerbreak.
A lot of s/w when presenting the data to be burned will ignore the layerbreak as such.
In other words will burn till the end of one layer, before starting on the next.
This can lead to problem on playback when the ‘artificial’ break is reached.
Imgburn will allow you to choose where this break takes place. (Check the guides & help for more info.)

OK, I made the image with IMGBurn and then I burned it to the DVD+R DL. I am going to check it now to see if it worked. The only thing is I did not select anything on the layer break screen. I did it before I read your last post. So I don’t know if it tried to squeeze everything into one layer or if I mistakenly shrunk the image down to fit on one layer when I made the ISO file.

I looked at the guides but to be honest, I got a little confused. I’m used to the ease of CloneDVD2 so I will have to sit down and read a bit. And if I screwed up the DL disc, we learn from our mistakes.

I will try again later.

Jim

I believe that ImgBurn does have a default for the layerbreak, when the image is created by ImgBurn.
When you play around with the setting it will also suggest the best setting.
While not free, but if you are used to CloneDVD.
CloneCD is the ideal 1:1 DL backup s/w.

I still can’t figure out why CloneDVD2 doesn’t work. I tried it again burning the video files to the hard drive and then using the Clone DVD to go right to the DL disc… still doesn’t work. ITs driving me crazy but at least I know I can write the DL discs in other programs.

Thanks,

Jim

[quote=Calaski8123;2077786]I still can’t figure out why CloneDVD2 doesn’t work. I tried it again burning the video files to the hard drive and then using the Clone DVD to go right to the DL disc… still doesn’t work. ITs driving me crazy but at least I know I can write the DL discs in other programs.

Thanks,

Jim[/quote]
You are using the latest version of CloneDVD?
If so maybe try an earlier version.

Actually it is probably an older version - 2.8.5.1 and why would a newer version not work for DL discs? Seems like the opposite would be true but it has selections for DL. At any rate, I thank you for all your help. I was able to burn the DL disc so I guess it was a software problem afterall… has to be something I am doing wrong I’m guessing.

I’ll try IMGBurn some more later on.

Jim