Upgrade

vbimport

Am thinking of upgrading to Win. 10 need some advice from the pros, yes or no. T.I.A.

Forgot, I now am using Win. 8.1

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2780503]Am thinking of upgrading to Win. 10 need some advice from the pros, yes or no. T.I.A.[/QUOTE]

[B]Check Windows 10 hardware compatibility before taking any other steps, you could have the conclusion right there.[/B]

My advice (I am using Windows 10) would depend on if the OS to be replaced is Windows 7 or not, from Windows 8.1, my advice will always be yes as there simply is no reason at all to stay behind afaik.

Windows 7… It all depends on the compatibility of the programs you need to have running, your need to stay private and your mileage.
It is not as easy to stay absolutely private on Windows 8.1 and 10 as it is on Windows 7, but using O&O ShutUp10 gets you down to acceptable levels.
The remaining FUD includes processes communicating extensively with Microsoft and the store. Windows Explorer communicates with Microsoft on the net, WWAHost.exe communicate lots with the store and so on.
Personally, I can’t help but thinking that last bit is more for people with special requirements or interests, such as myself who needs to know what communicates from a security perspective to either allow or block…

:flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2780506][B]Check Windows 10 hardware compatibility before taking any other steps, you could have the conclusion right there.[/B]

My advice (I am using Windows 10) would depend on if the OS to be replaced is Windows 7 or not, from Windows 8.1, my advice will always be yes as there simply is no reason at all to stay behind afaik.

Windows 7… It all depends on the compatibility of the programs you need to have running, your need to stay private and your mileage.
It is not as easy to stay absolutely private on Windows 8.1 and 10 as it is on Windows 7, but using O&O ShutUp10 gets you down to acceptable levels.
The remaining FUD includes processes communicating extensively with Microsoft and the store. Windows Explorer communicates with Microsoft on the net, WWAHost.exe communicate lots with the store and so on.
Personally, I can’t help but thinking that last bit is more for people with special requirements or interests, such as myself who needs to know what communicates from a security perspective to either allow or block…

:flower:[/QUOTE] Thanks X, I think I will upgrade, I am using Win. 8.1, just needed a little push in the right direction.

Missed the boat, unless you use / claim to use assistive technology

[QUOTE=Matth;2780528]Missed the boat, unless you use / claim to use assistive technology[/QUOTE] Please explain.

Windows 10 is no longer a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users unless they claim to use assistive technology. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

This could be something as simple as keyboard shortcuts, and Microsoft doesn’t demand proof that you are using the tech.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2780535]Windows 10 is no longer a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users unless they claim to use assistive technology. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

This could be something as simple as keyboard shortcuts, and Microsoft doesn’t demand proof that you are using the tech.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kerry, I did the upgrade that way, so far the only problems I am having is with my mail, I have a Yahoo account and Verizon, I had to download a Yahoo app, which I did, but cannot find an option on either I>E> or Chrome to save it on the desktop, and cannot get the Verizon mail to open, Verizon itself opens but the e-mail won’t

I have just upgraded to Win. 10, my Yahoo mail needed and app to work properly, I downloaded the app, but Yahoo still the same, how to apply app? The Verizon e-mail will not even open, HELP

Did you try going to settings>system to apply app?

:wink:

Thanks all for the advice, got everything working properly.