Upgrade to MAX from VeloSSD

vbimport

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for the great forum!

I purchased VeloSSD about a week or so ago, the Professional Edition ($19.99).

Recently I upgraded my memory capacity, and now have a dilemma!

Instead of chancing compatibility with Velo and other RAM solutions, I would prefer to use MAXVeloSSD.

My question is, is there an upgrade offer for Professional Edition VeloSSD to MAXVeloSSD? If I had known I would have the extra memory, I would have purchased the $29.99 MAX instead of the $19.99 VeloSSD. In other words, is it possible to upgrade to MAX for $9.99 or am I going to have to spend another $29.99?

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=StrykerCC;2745141]Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for the great forum!

I purchased VeloSSD about a week or so ago, the Professional Edition ($19.99).

Recently I upgraded my memory capacity, and now have a dilemma!

Instead of chancing compatibility with Velo and other RAM solutions, I would prefer to use MAXVeloSSD.

My question is, is there an upgrade offer for Professional Edition VeloSSD to MAXVeloSSD? If I had known I would have the extra memory, I would have purchased the $29.99 MAX instead of the $19.99 VeloSSD. In other words, is it possible to upgrade to MAX for $9.99 or am I going to have to spend another $29.99?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE] We do not provide pricing support here but I am sure the developer will be happy to answer your questions. Pricing is one thing we have no control over, but welcome to our forum, and please feel free to ask or answer any other questions you may have. Take a look around, we have many great forums here and we love to see new members.

I sent an email to support.

As a side note, I have been having issues with lockups (VeloSSD), but if I reboot with the SSD disconnected, then disable cache, delete cache file off SSD, then reconnect/reboot/create cache everything works ok. It’s happened 4 or 5 times, but each time I have tried a different configuration, i.e., only one volume cached, two volumes cached, different cache sizes. I suppose the SSD could be to blame (OCZ-ARC100 120G).

Also, I haven’t had a crash yet since upgrading the memory last night, or installing MAX trial, but I just did that this morning.

Some things that might be a factor:

• OS Drive has 200-300MB page file, secondary drive has system managed

• low memory situation (was 4GB, now 16GB)

• One game I play a lot is also installed on the SSD, and that’s it besides the cache files. There’s always at least 10GB free on the SSD. However, I have had lockups when playing the game, when not playing the game, high load and no load situations when the system sat idle overnight, so not sure what caused it (possibly SSD as mentioned).

At any rate, I am running the trial MAX right now and am awaiting response from developer. So far no problems. It usually takes a couple days before it happens, however.

OH, one question, after a few times creating cache volumes, the last time or two it said “FAT” when i selected the drive to cache. It didn’t do it 3 or so times, then it did it, then it didn’t do it, then it did it again. Not sure if that is something I need to address. It didn’t do it the last time I had to reconfigure VeloSSD, but when I uninstalled VeloSSD (via program manager uninstall), and then installed MaxVeloSSD, it said FAT again when I selected the C:/ drive.

Thanks in advance!

Elite Bytes contacted me via email and notified me there is an UPGRADE option on the website where it shows your current keys. I never noticed it before. I don’t know if they added it just for me or not, but YAY!

NOW, currently I have my registered copy of VeloSSD installed, although the cache is not active. The upgrade instructions in the email said to install MaxVeloSSD and apply the new key.

My QUESTION is: Don’t I have to uninstall VeloSSD first? Through windows uninstall programs, at the least?

I don’t want to uninstall it and cause problems if I am not supposed to, and I don’t want to install MAX on top of Velo if that will cause problems. Bottom line, I am trying to avoid problems!

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so MaxVeloSSD says to uninstall VeloSSD first. When I try to uninstall, it says the unins000.msg file is missing.

[QUOTE=StrykerCC;2745234]Ok, so MaxVeloSSD says to uninstall VeloSSD first. When I try to uninstall, it says the unins000.msg file is missing.[/QUOTE]
Reinstall and then uninstall.

I ended up deleting everything the “old school” way, just installed MaxVeloSSD, and validated my new key.

Going to reboot and then set it up!

Thanks everyone for your help!

You guys ROCK!

[QUOTE=StrykerCC;2745240]I ended up deleting everything the “old school” way, just installed MaxVeloSSD, and validated my new key.

Going to reboot and then set it up!

Thanks everyone for your help!

You guys ROCK![/QUOTE]
Let us know how you like it, I like it a lot :wink:

Honestly, I have been struggling with the system all day. I can’t say that it is due to MaxVeloSSD, though. The first time I disabled the cache on the trial, but also uninstalled another program… when I restarted chkdsk started up and found a bunch of stuff. I had to do a system restore to a point where VeloSSD was still installed. I think that is why I had trouble uninstalling it, because I had already uninstalled it once before the system restore. After defragging my drives and feeling things were stable again, I did the above and got MAX installed caching one volume. I also then installed a ramdisk util just in case i ever wanted to use it… while messing with that the system locked up, then ran chkdsk again when I rebooted. This time there were no system restore points found! Almost sounds like a virus, but I am pretty sure that’s not the problem. I have rebooted a few times since since I have mostly recovered, but weird things are happening that I haven’t quite figured out yet. Also, I have been waiting for system activity to die down before restarting or shutting down, which seems to help. I shut my system off usually while I am at work. The trial was very stable. So far the professional edition has been stable, but I am convinced that if I am installing/uninstalling other software, defrag drives, or anything like that I need to disable the cache first, just to be safe.

[QUOTE=StrykerCC;2745259]Honestly, I have been struggling with the system all day. I can’t say that i The trial was very stable. So far the professional edition has been stable, but I am convinced that if I am installing/uninstalling other software, defrag drives, or anything like that I need to disable the cache first, just to be safe.[/QUOTE]

Hi Stryker, Sorry for the trouble you encounter. I had also problems with previous versions of velossd, but this last 2.1.0.8 version is running fine for me and i’m a happy camper now.

I always remove the cache and reboot before defrag or chkdsk with repair option. From time to time I run chkdsk without repair to see if everything is allright … but if a problem shows up I’ll remove the cache before attempting anything.

I would also make a backup of the whole system. Tools like paragon backup are completely free for hobbyists and saved my ass plenty of time http://www.paragon-software.com/fr/home/br-free/download.html (also remove the cache before backup)

Since you switched to Maxvelossd I would recommand buying an UPS. It doesn’t make sense to have gygabytes of disk data in memory and no UPS. If power fails you are doomed since disk data in ram will be permanently lost.

I guess Alan has an UPS a Backup and probably never shuts down his machine. :bow:

Last tip : My experience with velossd is that the uninstaller leaves plenty of references in the registry. Before reinstalling try to search the registry for the string velossd. The reason for this is probably that the installer is not responsible for installing the drivers. A system command launched from the installer is probably requesting the OS to do this, and the OS has no uninstaller for his actions (except system restore but it’s not really an uninstaller)

From what I learned Velossd is also a very particular type of driver called a “filter”. It will “attach” to your IDE driver, who may or may not like it. So switching to default windows ide drivers may solve issues. Slowdown will be compensated by the cache quickly.

[QUOTE=wchris;2745282]Hi Stryker, Sorry for the trouble you encounter. I had also problems with previous versions of velossd, but this last 2.1.0.8 version is running fine for me and i’m a happy camper now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response! For the most part things have worked well. My main issue with VeloSSD was I would get SSD lockups, but after the 5th or 6th time, I moved the drive down a bay in the front of my case so it could get more air from the fan, after reading the max operating temperature for the OCZ-ARC100 (120G) was about 100 degrees fahrenheit. My case is close to a heat vent, and it’s been really cold here. Since I have made this adjustment, I have not had any more lockups. Fingers Crossed

[QUOTE=wchris;2745282]I would also make a backup of the whole system. Tools like paragon backup are completely free for hobbyists and saved my ass plenty of time http://www.paragon-software.com/fr/home/br-free/download.html (also remove the cache before backup)[/QUOTE]

I have been using Macrium Reflect. Truth be told I haven’t actually HAD to restore an image, but I just found out I am not working today, so I will be making images.

[QUOTE=wchris;2745282]Since you switched to Maxvelossd I would recommand buying an UPS. It doesn’t make sense to have gygabytes of disk data in memory and no UPS. If power fails you are doomed since disk data in ram will be permanently lost.

I guess Alan has an UPS a Backup and probably never shuts down his machine. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Indeed! I have used UPS for years. I have one on each machine, as well as my router/modem station. (As a side note, I use a cheap notebook cooler to sit the router on to help keep it cool.)

[QUOTE=wchris;2745282]Last tip : My experience with velossd is that the uninstaller leaves plenty of references in the registry. Before reinstalling try to search the registry for the string velossd. The reason for this is probably that the installer is not responsible for installing the drivers. A system command launched from the installer is probably requesting the OS to do this, and the OS has no uninstaller for his actions (except system restore but it’s not really an uninstaller)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! Searching the registry was part of my “old school” uninstall process, and I only found one reference I believe, which was enough to be able to install MAX. I also deleted all the files I could find in all, including hidden, folders.

[QUOTE=wchris;2745282]From what I learned Velossd is also a very particular type of driver called a “filter”. It will “attach” to your IDE driver, who may or may not like it. So switching to default windows ide drivers may solve issues. Slowdown will be compensated by the cache quickly.[/QUOTE]

This is something I am not familiar with. If I have any any more issues I may have to look into that. Could this cause a problem with data not being fully written when doing a restart? I also have AHCI enabled, and it was enabled when I installed the SSD. Trim is turned on in windows as well as command to SSD, as a side note.

Off to disable / restart / start making images!