Upgrade memory

I have a gigabyte GA-8SDX motherboard and want to upgrade my memory will this memory work MICRON

2 x 1gB PC133 133MHz CL3

168-Pin ECC REGISTERED

SDRAM MEMORY

No, your motherboard doesn’t support that memory…
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GA-8SDX

thanks for the help I thought because I would use just the new memory and not mix with the old memory I would be ok

Your Motherboard Manual is available here:

According the the link above, you need 168-Pin PC133 SDRAM (non-ECC). 3GB (1GBx3) is the maximum amount of memory your board will recognize.

1GB 168-pin PC133 CL3 non-Registered non-ECC SDRAM DIMM

will this work

Not according to Crucial or your motherboard manual…
Maximum addressable RAM size per slot is shown as 512MB…

IMHO, I would not spend a single cent (penny) on that old system. This is because PC133 is now “obsolete” in computer technology terms, and any upgrade will cost you much more money than that entire system is worth. Instead, I would put the money that I might have otherwise spent on tweaking that old system and put it towards the purchase of a new, more up to date system.

[B]this is from [/B]crucial web site

A: how much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251.

this upgrade is for my kids computer my computer is pentium 4 3.4 3 gigs memory, HIS ICE 512mb radeon 4850 video card works like a charm .I need the upgrade for a little while for them.

Supported DRAM Types: SDR SDRAM only
SDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC100 and PC133
168-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
[B]Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM: 3072MB [/B]
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
Graphics Support: AGP 4X
Max Component Density: 512Mb
USB Support: 1.x Compliant
Chipset: SiS 645 (XP4)

The memory limitation is based on the chipset and not the OS…
You can pick up 512MB DIMM’s on Ebay or look around your local computer stores…

yes but the manual say’s up to 3gigs crucial was stating what the system would be able to recognize by the type of windows system installed.

Find yourself a 1GB PC133 DIMM and try it…

installed the 2 1GB 168-pin PC133 CL3 non-Registered non-ECC SDRAM DIMM works like a charm thanks for all the help.:bigsmile::bigsmile: