Upgrade LTD-165H to LTD-166S F/W possible?

G’day,

Has anyone tried flashing a LiteON LTD-165H 16x/48x DVD-ROM drive with LTD-166S firmware? Does the drive perform exactly like a '166s? Any problems occured? I’d love to know!

Thanks!
TerminalVeloCD

I doubt anyone is going to want to try that, those two DVD drives are not the same! The 166 is 1 inch shorter than the 165, that alone would indicate that it almost certainly has a different PCB inside… different PCB, different chipset etc.

I have an LTD-166S and it is an excellent drive! Anyway, I doubt it would be possible upgrade, because they have different chipsets. You can tell from the last digit in the model numbers that the LTD-165H is a ‘5 series’ chipset and the LTD-166S is a ‘6 series’ one.

Is the 166S one inch shorter than the 165H? I doubt that, since they have the same dimensions according to JLMS (W x H x D : 145.8 x 41.3 x 170.0mm).

Maybe you were refering to the 163D, which is an inch longer than the 165H (and 166S) :slight_smile:

Anyways the firmware for 166S and 165H is exactly the same size, so upgrading a 166S to a 165H may not be entirely impossible.

But since they for some reason decided to release the 166S, something must differ inside compared to the 165H.
My guess is that they got new parts that they had to adapt the drive to…

The 166S and 165H have identical features, so there is probably no point in upgrading even if you could.

Thanks for the gen people! Really appreciate it!

TerminalVeloCD

Does the 166s slow way down when playing audio CDs or does it continue to run at full speed? My 40125s slows way down so you can barely here it, but an ASUS cd-s520 I bought (and returned) continued at full speed when playing audio CDs, and was VERY loud. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]Is the 166S one inch shorter than the 165H? I doubt that, since they have the same dimensions according to JLMS (W x H x D : 145.8 x 41.3 x 170.0mm).

Maybe you were refering to the 163D, which is an inch longer than the 165H (and 166S) :slight_smile:

Anyways the firmware for 166S and 165H is exactly the same size, so upgrading a 166S to a 165H may not be entirely impossible.

But since they for some reason decided to release the 166S, something must differ inside compared to the 165H.
My guess is that they got new parts that they had to adapt the drive to… [/B]

I might have been thinking 163, although I just put in a 165 into a friends machine and if I recall it was the same length as her LTR-48125W… which would basically make it 1 inch longer than the 166. But, I could be mistaken… unless there are two different revisions on the 165?

Originally posted by gary496
Does the 166s slow way down when playing audio CDs or does it continue to run at full speed? My 40125s slows way down so you can barely here it, but an ASUS cd-s520 I bought (and returned) continued at full speed when playing audio CDs, and was VERY loud. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I haven’t played an audio CD in my drive. But Lite-On’s DONT have a reputation for being quite… so if quite is what you want you might not want the 166. To be honest, I’ve never really noticed the noise of any Lite-On’s I’ve had. But, then agian I’ve had some pretty loud Active Heatsink’s on some of my CPU’s so I may not hear it even if it is loud.

Any 48x drive makes more or less noise… My 165H sounds as a hurricane when it’s on full speed… :slight_smile:
During “normal” use however, it’s not noticable (my fans make more noise)…

irikumi - Actually, my Lite-On 40125s is VERY quiet when playing audio CDs. I think this is the SMART-X technology at work, and the drive is slowing down to just the speed required to play the CD. I just wanted to know if the 166s does the same thing, since it also has SMART-X.

Airhead - When you say “normal use” are you referring to playing an audio CD or video DVD, or something else? I suspect the 166s would be very similar to the 165H.

I just want to avoid getting another drive like the ASUS CD-S520 that I bought and returned because it ran at FULL SPEED :eek:
when playing an audio CD (I’m not joking).

Yes, normal use equals AudioCD/DVD-video use… Then it’s very quiet. :slight_smile: