Upgrade Crashes

I tried to upgrade from 3.0.3.8 to 4.0 and 4.5 both of which went through the installation process then when it appeared to be done the blue screen of death appeared lasting about 2 seconds then the system reboots. The previous program remains fortunately intact and functional. I save the output to HD then use DVD shrink without any problems but I’m worried.

The screen names a file at the bottom called pnp680r.sys I think ( because it flashes so fast) then the reboots. The new Icon which was made also gives an error message ;

The ordinal 509 could not be located in the dynamic link library avcodec.dll

I hope it gives someone enough information to help. When upgrading before from the 2.8 series the same thing occured until this latest version I’m using after having to reinstall windows because of a crash. It reads the free trial version but I paid for the key but was afraid because of a previous member’s problems to use it in that he was unable to get his working program to work also in the 2.8 series. Any guidance would be helpful and appreciated also and explanation if known as to what is happening.

Ronate12 :frowning:

It appears no one is having this problem or unable or willing to assist me. My drives are SOHW-1693S with up to date firmware. The problem after much testing and time is limited to the Platinum version of the program. The Gold and Decrypt install flawlessly with the latest version being the .46. I was trying to support the mission by purchasing the Platinum version but looks like I’ll have to ask for a refund to the Gold unless a fix can be obtained.

sorry, I would help but I have not run into any errors like this nor do I recall other complaints about blue-screening.

What type of motherboard do you have? When I did a search on the pnp680r.sys in google it mainly refers to a RAID controller. Maybe you can update the driver for the RAID controller or try reinstalling it?

Also, there is a 3.0.4.6 out for all versions you might try this and see if it fixes the issue

BSOD is usually a missing DLL. try to restore to a working version. Then open control panel, system, advanced, bottom a button named error reporting, enable error reporting and next time you get a BSOD it will stop and display the error. Now try to upgrade to 3.0.4.6 beta and if BSOD comes up post errors and a google search may give you a solution.

Mack

pnp680r.sys is associated with an adapter to give you extra ide slots. I had a pci to ide card that used this driver. Maybe you can try reinstalling that software and see if it helps. You might want to check the Silicon Image web page also to see if there is an update for it.

Mack’s suggestion should work…I can’t recall though, if this will yield all the data. In an effort to nail down the specific error, here’s another way to try…
Right click my computer >
Properties >
Advanced >
Startup and Recovery >
Settings >
System Failure >
Uncheck Automatically restart.

This should give a bit more than the few milliseconds that MS begrudgingly gives up… :bigsmile:

After I posted, I realized that the pnp60r.sys might have something to do with raid also. I was using it for ide, but it can also be used for raid setups.

Since pnp680r.sys has been addressed, I googled avcodec.dll and posted some links below:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=169451

http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about2594.html

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81526

http://petercheat.host.sk/libav/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=avcodec.dll&btnG=Search

Mack

Thanks guys I’ll check into all the suggestions. Most of them I had already but will double check. Where is the error log saved? I just unchecked the auto restart so I will try again later. I have a raid controller for the HD but not running a raid setup. Raid came with the controller.

Ron

To use Windows Error Reporting to troubleshoot a problem.

1. Click on Start
  2. All Programs
  3. Accessories
  4. System Tools
  5. System Environment
  6. +Software
  7. Windows Error Reporting

Clicking on each Topic in the list will give you more choices, so choose the ones I listed until you Click on Windows Error reporting. At that time the Right Window in System Information will display Time, Type, and Details. Time is time of error. Type is Application that was running. Details is all the information and is what you need most, but space does not allow it to display all the information. You can Mouse Over each line to read, but, I like a hard copy.

On top line you will see: File, Edit, View, Tools, Help
Click on Edit, Select All (the details column will highlight) then Copy now:

1. Click on Start
  2. All Programs
  3. Accessories
  4. WordPad

WordPad will open, at top click on Edit, then choose Paste and you will have a workable text document. I usually highlight and delete all but the last week or so to decrease the size that I will eventually. Now click on View, Options, to set Measurement Type, then Text, check Wordwrap. Do the same for others or at least Rich Text.

File at top of WordPad, then chose Page Setup where you can chance margins. I also choose Landscape and largest size paper that I have that will print in the printer and try to get each error on a line. Now you have better readable information to print out and identify each error so you can google them.

Mack