Updating firefox beware

vbimport

updating firefox with AOLtoolbar sucks ,all the ads and junk ,it puts 600 unwanted virus’s any body else down loaded upgrade of firefox yet

I updated three pc’s to Firefox 36.0 today. None of them had or have an AOL toolbar.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2748787]I updated three pc’s to Firefox 36.0 today. None of them had or have an AOL toolbar.[/QUOTE]

they didn’t have a push to have aol tool bar I had to run maleware bytes twice and avast to get rid of them

Odd, I haven’t seen that on any of my systems that have update FF to 36 either.

Drage I have PD and my finger twiches and I clicked before I could stop it ,but it had a firefox with an aol tool bar .firefox did update to 36.0 but I picked up 600 malewares
I have charter cable .I’m on facebook and youtube alot and aol mail

I use the Mozilla Maintenance Service updater for Firefox and I didn’t see any reference to AOL or any other add-on attempts.

Updated a couple of systems yesterday and today.
Haven’t seen any toolbar whatsoever yet.

@Doug,

When something like this happens, the easiest way to get rid of it is to use Windows System Restore and go back to before the infection occurred.

Hey Doug, I don’t even have FF installed .
I have use FF in the past & I have no problem with people that like it.
We all have browser preferences for what ever reason.

To me it seems like you got an infected download of FF.
I would do a through uninstall of FF .
If you have “System Restore” on turn it off .
Reboot into Normal mode & then shutdown & boot into safe mode.

From safe mode do a complete scan with your Anti-virus & MalwareBytes.

Clean whatever is detected (Unless you know something detected is a “false positive”) .
Reboot into normal. Turn “System Restore” back on if you use it .
Download a fresh copy of FF .
Do A right click scan of the FF.exe with Avast & MalwareBytes.

On a side note I’ve seen the FF version “PaleMoon” recommended here on the forum . I haven’t tried it but I understand it is a lot like FF.

If you use “System Restore” you could try Ibex’s suggestion .
I never had much success with it but I guess for some people it works OK. I try to keep a current backup with Acronis & use that instead.
I keep “System Restore” turned off " .

[QUOTE=marloyd;2748786]updating firefox with AOLtoolbar sucks ,all the ads and junk ,it puts 600 unwanted virus’s any body else down loaded upgrade of firefox yet[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=marloyd;2748788]they didn’t have a push to have aol tool bar I had to run maleware bytes twice and avast to get rid of them[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=marloyd;2748790]Drage I have PD and my finger twiches and I clicked before I could stop it ,but it had a firefox with an aol tool bar .firefox did update to 36.0 but I picked up 600 malewares
I have charter cable .I’m on facebook and youtube alot and aol mail[/QUOTE]

This is so dubious there is nothing to backup this claim. I installed FF many times and have nothing like toolbar. Those comes with other software like if you use AOL and then that adds toolbar and since you posted no links or screen shot of the browser this story is more dubious to construe as misleading. I think the user installed AOL and their browser and got all the junk toolbar and implied from AOL not from FireFox when it obviously came from the AOL download they installed. The question becomes why are they using AOL when FireFox is it’s own browser-in other words they are using AOL broswer and implying it the FireFox browser.

Coolcolors you might be right AOL is always trying to get us to use aol 's toolbar some how they tried to incorporate it in a fire fox update.Things are working alright now ,like i said I have a finger that reacts by it’s self,get’s me into trouble every time. thanks guys I thought it might of hit someone else.

One other possibility is it came in a Java update. Unlike Firefox, Java usually does come bundled with a toolbar, although usually it’s the Ask Toolbar:

Both ticks need to be unchecked before clicking ‘Next’.

Basically everyone should have this excellent app on their systems running

Hey Doug , Glad you got your FF working.

I would still try the Safe mode scans . Just to make sure.

The reason for turning off System Restore is it also keeps viruses.
You can clear it by turning it off & rebooting .
Then just turn it back on & reboot again.
That gets rid of all older System Restores.