Updated the firmware on my NEC ND-2510A... BIG MISTAKE!

vbimport

So, previously, I was using v2.14 firmware. I got this drive about four years ago, and its been wonderful. It’s lasted this far, and I hope to let it last a while longer. But I haven’t needed to burn DL DVDs with it…

So 2.14, the original firmware, was fine. Until I needed the drive to do what I bought it for :stuck_out_tongue:

So I update to 2.19. Uhm, then it won’t recognize the file system of any writeable DVDs. DVD±R/W, or DL just won’t work. It’ll read and write CDs, it’ll read a commercial video DVD. But nothing else. Adding files to the drive in explorer just gives me the error message about the file system.

Before I find this out, an external DVD burning program made a nice coaster out of my first DL disc, and just gave me a polite message about how the disc wasn’t “fixed” or “sealed” or whatever the term is. It wont work in my DVD player, so it’s a coaster/plastic pigeon.

I tried the latest bit here: http://www.herrie.org/
Uh, the drive disappeared in Windows Explorer when I put in a DVD+R, (and came back when I took it out) so I dunno quite what to do. :sad:

I get here, and there’s a TON of firmware options! :eek: I don’t wanna wear the drive out by overspeed writing, and I’m running XP service pack 3. And since NEC wouldn’t put up a bugfix list, I’m not sure why the old versions are that - old versions!

So I’m lost. Please help! :bow:

Flash back, try again.

Now, no matter how I flash it, it just relabels itself as “CD drive” when I put a DVD in, and says “Device inaccessible”.

I’ve upgraded the firmware on my 2510a multiple times without problems. Was it interrupted part way through the flash process?

Although I never use it this days because recent drives are still much better on 8x media such as TYG02 and CMC MAG E01, TY T02 etc anyway.

You could always try it in another pc.

[QUOTE=Architectonic;2087817]I’ve upgraded the firmware on my 2510a multiple times without problems. Was it interrupted part way through the flash process?

Although I never use it this days because recent drives are still much better on 8x media such as TYG02 and CMC MAG E01, TY T02 etc anyway.

You could always try it in another pc.[/QUOTE]

I may try that - the problem then is, its not really mine anymore when I do that. My brothers and I are all running off to different schools, and that makes it harder to ever see this ol’ girl again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, she and I have had a good run. I guess I’ll let my little brothers give her a shot. I may have to do it for them on their computer (a past warranty emachines pos), but its still worth the effort, you know?

Anybody have any comments about the HP dvd1040i burner (aside from tax jokes :wink: )? I don’t see an HP section like there is for other brands, but I got a guy who’ll sing their praises to hell and back, thumping how he’s been in computers longer than I’ve been alive. If nothing else, there’s that 30 day money back thing, just in case you guys all scream “NO! That’s total carp!!” to save me another headache.

I think it might be worth the upgrade just to have lightscribe capability, and I got free shipping on a steal price from newegg. Warranty and Nero Essentials all included, so there is a bright side.

The HP dvd1040 drives are just LiteOn LH-20A1P or DH-20A4H drives [more or less the same with a few minor tweaks].

BTW, Windows XP doesn’t support writing to blank DVDs in explorer. That’s why you got the error. You have to use a standalone burning program for that.

What brand of DVD DL did you buy?

[QUOTE=Albert;2087882]The HP dvd1040 drives are just LiteOn LH-20A1P or DH-20A4H drives [more or less the same with a few minor tweaks].

BTW, Windows XP doesn’t support writing to blank DVDs in explorer. That’s why you got the error. You have to use a standalone burning program for that.

What brand of DVD DL did you buy?[/QUOTE]

Sony. The discs say something about “Accucore” on them.

Sony AccuCore? Do you still have the box for them?

[QUOTE=Albert;2087915]Sony AccuCore? Do you still have the box for them?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Now that you mention it, I tried burning something on an ol’, reliable enough Memorex DVD+R with a data style burner… She’s still kicking!

Now, I think I might get the other drive for the lightscribe. And my combo cd-rw/dvd-rom drive has a hard time opening, so it can make a nice back up. I no longer have to roam the interweb feeling ghetto-fabulous! :stuck_out_tongue:

My preferred writer with lightscribe would be the Sony/Nec Optiarc AD-7201A/S http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/half-height-drives/ad-7201s

Although the Lite-on/HP is better if you want to do disc quality scans with jitter.

[quote=AzazelEblis;2087934]Yep. Now that you mention it, I tried burning something on an ol’, reliable enough Memorex DVD+R with a data style burner… She’s still kicking!

Now, I think I might get the other drive for the lightscribe. And my combo cd-rw/dvd-rom drive has a hard time opening, so it can make a nice back up. I no longer have to roam the interweb feeling ghetto-fabulous! :p[/quote]When you get the new drive, get new DL media, too. Sony media is good for SL, but their DL isn’t too compatible [they brand a poor choice of media most of the time]. :wink:

Are you using 80 wire IDE cable? This is required for newer drives to work correctly, and this may be true of older drives with newer firmware too. You’ll need to get 80 wire cable for new drive if you get a new drive, i.e. if you don’t have 80 wire cable. I’ve read some good comments on the NEC 720x models, and the AD-7200 is just $24 with free shipping from http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=10&name=CD-DVD-Burners-Media. Note there’re combo deals for this drive there too; pretty good deal if you need another hard drive or other combo choice.