Updated Platinum AVI Codecs?

I noticed in the release notes for the new beta of Fab Platinum it says this: "Updated A/V codecs for “DVD to Mobile”

What exactly does that mean? A simple version update? Or was there actual improvement made on the codecs’ abilities? I love the program, but the mobile mode has always had a couple of annoyances for me:

1. Fab refuses to hit the target size exactly or even closely on the higher-res settings.

2. It seems to have some type of bitrate limiting thing applied. It doesn’t apply the full amount of chosen bitrate. I can copy a movie once at 2500kbs and then again at 5000kbs in generic mode and get only a slight difference in file size. Not to sound rude guys, but I find this a bit unacceptable. This is probably part of the reason for the file size discrepancies.

3. I’ve noticed several instances of distortion such as a slight green tinting on really dark scenes (early episodes of The X-Files for example), and over pixelation on some material.

I love Fab’s functions for DVD to DVD to death, and I don’t expect the program to be perfect. However, when I’m going for awesome quality and type in 800mb into the file size box for an hour-long tv episode, I don’t like getting around only 600mb used in the final product.

There are serious problems with DVD to iPod as well, there was a major rewrite apparently sometime after v3.0.9.8 of all the DVD to mobile code. I find that it never hits the file size target and videos tend to be out of synch. Hope to see a fix soon! :slight_smile:

Ting answered what you mentioned in item 2 in a post a few weeks ago. He said in effect that bitrate allowance that the encoder doesn’t need or can’t use is discarded. I have my defaults for my Archos set to 2400 mb/s and have never gotten an output file with a bitrate higher than 1800 or so. My file sizes are also smaller than the estimate because all of the bitrate setting is not being used. I use MP3 audio and have no sync issues; just tried the new Harry Potter with v4.0.1.6, worked great. Have not noticed the tinting thing you mentioned. [quote=AVI Man;1952250]I noticed in the release notes for the new beta of Fab Platinum it says this: "Updated A/V codecs for “DVD to Mobile”

What exactly does that mean? A simple version update? Or was there actual improvement made on the codecs’ abilities? I love the program, but the mobile mode has always had a couple of annoyances for me:

1. Fab refuses to hit the target size exactly or even closely on the higher-res settings.

2. It seems to have some type of bitrate limiting thing applied. It doesn’t apply the full amount of chosen bitrate. I can copy a movie once at 2500kbs and then again at 5000kbs in generic mode and get only a slight difference in file size. Not to sound rude guys, but I find this a bit unacceptable. This is probably part of the reason for the file size discrepancies.

3. I’ve noticed several instances of distortion such as a slight green tinting on really dark scenes (early episodes of The X-Files for example), and over pixelation on some material.

I love Fab’s functions for DVD to DVD to death, and I don’t expect the program to be perfect. However, when I’m going for awesome quality and type in 800mb into the file size box for an hour-long tv episode, I don’t like getting around only 600mb used in the final product.[/quote]

Hi,

The bitrate is limited by output resolution, for ipod output, 2500Kbps is almost the limit.

If you want better quality, you should use 2-pass encoding, it will improve a lot.

Best Regards,
Fengtao