Update mess: Windows Update fails on clean Windows 7 installations, patches fail too

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Update mess: Windows Update fails on clean Windows 7 installations, patches fail too[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2009/10/081110windows7installerheader.jpg.png[/newsimage]

Clean installations of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 can’t download and install updates through Windows Update. An update is available but because it is distributed through Windows Update, it can’t be installed.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/update-mess-windows-update-fails-clean-windows-7-installations-patches-fail-80711/](http://www.myce.com/news/update-mess-windows-update-fails-clean-windows-7-installations-patches-fail-80711/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

With the October 2016 update cumulative update I had no WU notification problems. I do know that link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c

That if you don’t install KB3020369 that the update ‘convenience rollup’ for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 up to April 2016 will not install. How I know this - I did a clean fresh Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 install and found that out after reading about this problem as well. After that KB update the convenience rollup installed without problems and I just updated the rest of the way with the downloaded Windows update that I downloaded for offline install. This saves alot of time and headache from starting all those updates from Jan 2016 through April 2016 and that is alot.

Just have been through this last week - winupdate is useless after a clean install of 7 and you can’t even install KBs manually coz it can’t read the winupdate history either hence no install. The only solution to that is to download the latest win update patch in .exe format.

After that all worked again.

Not a clean install by any means, but my Win-7 Pro 64b stopped updating last week, or even finding updates. I followed the fix in this article and it got Update going again. We’ll see if that’s a good thing or not.

Once again, Microsoft has been screwed by their own stupidity. Why not make the updates available to download through a web browser? When people search the web for WU-related issues, they should be able to see some Microsoft help article, with a link to an EXE or MSI installer. That solution seems so obvious, even Microsoft should be capable of considering this solution. But alas, Microsoft is full of idiots.

Anyway I think my brain is broken, since this story is so stupid, can’t possibly be real. I’m looking for something to help fix my brain, so I don’t have these delusions. I know! I’ll fix my brain with… my brain!:clap:

Nice to see I’m not the only one. This has been happening for months, even before Win 10 free upgrades stopped. It’s substantially worse in a business environment where you may wipe a machine and re-install several a day. I’ve tried the update rollup package after a fresh install and it says it’s not applicable to my systems, so to me it’s useless.

The only real solution I’ve found so far, is to stop Windows Update service, set it to Manual, download KB3050265, KB3065987, KB3102810, KB3135445, KB3138612, KB3161664, KB3020369, & KB3172605 and install them in that order, then check for updates. You can flip Windows Update service back to Automatic Delayed Start after that, and things seem to be okay. Sure is one hell of a pain in the ass though for each wiped machine several times a day.

They totally screwed up the updater for W7! I haven’t had an update in months and now I hardly use my desktop… I’m more in favor of using my laptop, but over half the browsing & media acquisition is done on my phone. I spent way too many hours trying to fix it, and I’m done!
Maybe I’ll install windows 10 next year after I clean up the HDD with files and back up the rest. Gotta order some dual layer blu rays!

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2782943]They totally screwed up the updater for W7! I haven’t had an update in months and now I hardly use my desktop… I’m more in favor of using my laptop, but over half the browsing & media acquisition is done on my phone. I spent way too many hours trying to fix it, and I’m done!
Maybe I’ll install windows 10 next year after I clean up the HDD with files and back up the rest. Gotta order some dual layer blu rays![/QUOTE]
I did the update and it work ok with Windows update notifications.