Update firm ware fo r =HL DT STDVD+RW GH50N

vbimport

i have a dell580 64 bit and it has a hl- dt- stdvdrw gh50n, 16x burner,i have been looking for newer firmware , it has B104. i can’t seam to find any info on this. thanks for any help with this, xbill

Hi,

Dell has excellent information about their stuff, so I can’t consider this

i can’t seam to find any info on this
as valid :bigsmile:
Interestingly, the firmware of your drive is newer than those I found on Dell website.

The GH50N is an OEM drive made for Dell. I am pretty sure there is an equivalent retail drive out there, but I don’t know which. From my personal experience with Dell and LG stuff, it is very likely that Dell’s firmware support is better than the LG’s firmware support for their retail drives.

That said, what exactly is the reason for you needing some other firmware?

Michael

i looked on the dell site but didn’t find the GH50N firm ware info.didn’t know how old the drive might be, was just checking on it… thanks for the reply.xbill

[B]xbill [/B]given that your current firmware is newer than the ones already released by DELL can you please do a backup of your firmware using DevilsClaw’s flasher: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137

Just run the following commands (from the command line):

flasher -D

That will tell you the drive ID number. Assuming that the drive ID is 1 then run the following two command to dump the firmware:

flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin
flasher -d 1 -c core_firmware.bin

If the drive ID is a different number, just use that number instead of 1.

Just zip the two files up and upload them to a free host such as mediafire.com and then post the link here …

Thanks! :flower:

i am a noob at this not sure how to do this…xbill

[QUOTE=xbill;2575410]i am a noob at this not sure how to do this…xbill[/QUOTE]

It is really simple to do if you follow this step by step tutorial:

[B]STEP 1.[/B] Download the latest 64-bit Windows version of devilsclaw’s Renesas flasher from http://sourceforge.net/projects/flasher/ and extract the files in a folder such as ‘C:\Flasher’.

[B]STEP 2. [/B]I assume you’re on Windows 7 x64. Click on the Flasher folder once to select it (left click), then press the shift key and while still holding down the shift key do a right click and click on the [I]Open Command Window Here[/I] menu item.

Your command window should now indicate c:\Flasher> as a working folder.

[B]STEP 3.[/B] Dump the firmware. Type:

[I]flasher -D[/I]

and hit enter.

That will tell you the drive ID number. Assuming that the drive ID is 1 then type:

[I]flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin[/I]

hit enter and wait until the dump completed message shows up. Then type:
[I]
flasher -d 1 -c core_firmware.bin[/I]

and again wait until it finishes.

That’s it, and it is a completely danger-free operation.

PS. If the drive ID is a different number, just use that number instead of 1.

when i click link and go to the page it shows a download for lnnux32,where do i find Download the latest 64-bit Windows version.

[QUOTE=xbill;2575434]when i click link and go to the page it shows a download for lnnux32,where do i find Download the latest 64-bit Windows version.[/QUOTE]

Here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/flasher/files/current_stable/

step3 typed in flasher -D this came up, put in attachment, hope it opens can’t see where it says drive ID number.new to Command Window

[QUOTE=xbill;2575584]step3 typed in flasher -D this came up, put in attachment, hope it opens can’t see where it says drive ID number.new to Command Window[/QUOTE]

That means that flasher.exe is not inside of the C:\Users\bill\Downloads\flasher_Win64_10252010_1137PM\flasher\ folder. If you look, I would guess that the flasher.exe file is probably inside the C:\Users\bill\Downloads\flasher_Win64_10252010_1137PM\ folder, and the flasher folder in there is empty. If that’s the case, open a command window for the flasher_Win64_10252010_1137PM folder instead of the flasher folder and then it should work. flasher.exe needs to be in the folder denoted by the path you see before the [B]>_[/B] prompt.

what do i do next?

[QUOTE=xbill;2575593]what do i do next?[/QUOTE]

Look in the flasher_Win64_10252010_1137PM folder. After you ran the two dumping commands you should have two .bin files in there one called main_firmware.bin and another one called core_firmware.bin. Those are the firmware dumps. Just zip them up in an archive and upload them to a free host such as mediafire.com and then post the link here.

Thanks! :flower:

when i oped folder i see only main_firmware, i add that to add main_firmware zip.i don’t see 2ed file.i now have a zip folder.what next.

[QUOTE=xbill;2575610]when i oped folder i see only main_firmware, i add that to add main_firmware zip.i don’t see 2ed file.i now have a zip folder.what next.[/QUOTE]

If you haven’t got the core part of the firmware saved, just open a command window again and run the last command again (no need to do the [I]flasher -D[/I] command again as we know that your drive ID is 1, and there no need to run the [I]flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin[/I] command again as we already have the main part):

[I]flasher -d 1 -c core_firmware.bin[/I]

press enter and that will dump the core.

thanks for taking your time with me on this.being new to this. i now have the 2 files and will zip them. on the zip list witch do i select. not sure how to up load to mediafire.com.

Just select the add to archive item. That shall do the trick.

On Mediafire, just click on the big green Upload button, select the zip file and upload it. Once it finisher you’ll see a copy link button on the right hand side of the file. Press it to copy the link and then post the link here.

Thanks again!

http://www.mediafire.com/?2rinq1q7vc07evx i hope i did this right. was there some ware else i should have posted this .thanks for taking time with me ,a good learning experience!let me know if this worked out.

[QUOTE=xbill;2575691]http://www.mediafire.com/?2rinq1q7vc07evx i hope i did this right. was there some ware else i should have posted this .thanks for taking time with me ,a good learning experience!let me know if this worked out.[/QUOTE]

Spot on! That’s exactly what is needed. Thank you very much!