Update error message

vbimport

I just set an older computer back to factory due to a few problems. Every thing went fine until I tried to do an update in Win 8. There

were 177 updates. After it finally installed an rebooted I am getting the hated “updates failed reverting” error message. This happened

once before and it took forever to fix, thanks to the help I got online I was able to get it working. Now I have tried all the things I

had to do and none are working. So far I have ran the Update Troubleshooter and supposedly was fixed, ran msconfig and disabled the

Microsoft settings, also disconnected all USB connections. Tried all these 3 X’s to no avail. Lots of hours , any help would be greatly

appreciated.

Can you try to install

One

By

One

… And see if it fails on a particular one? (Maybe not literally one at a time, but a few at a time to help narrow down the cause).

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2754575]I just set an older computer back to factory due to a few problems. Every thing went fine until I tried to do an update in Win 8. There

were 177 updates. After it finally installed an rebooted I am getting the hated “updates failed reverting” error message. This happened

once before and it took forever to fix, thanks to the help I got online I was able to get it working. Now I have tried all the things I

had to do and none are working. So far I have ran the Update Troubleshooter and supposedly was fixed, ran msconfig and disabled the

Microsoft settings, also disconnected all USB connections. Tried all these 3 X’s to no avail. Lots of hours , any help would be greatly

appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have Windows 7 so the way I do my update is check for them and then manual download the updates-only leaving those I can’t get to do with Windows update. That way I avoid any pitfalls or problems. Also I always have a previous image of the HDD created by Acronis software so that should something go wrong I just restore that image and try again. I also found in my reading that doing what I just did and then using Windows update to download the update and then go into the Windows folder and looking up windows update log I can also do the trick to download any updates that I couldn’t by manual update and thus I get the actual Windows update. Then I save all my update to a folder matching the date I downloaded them then save to another HDD and then use my Acronis software to restore the previous image back to the HDD and then I go back and do my manual windows update of the updates I download manually and with the use of Windows update log file. This way I can insure all my updates install back onto a clean drive with no errors or problem that can get in the way of updates. Then I reboot and use Acronis software on CD to make a new image of the recent update and store that away for another day if updates shows up then I do the process over again. Alot of work but this insures me everytime I do it my system is 100% working no problems with update. This I learned from trial and errors-it wasn’t easy but made not having to reinstall the O/S from basic alot easier.