Update bootcode?

I am new to lite-on drives (Nec usually) why do I need to check the update bootcode box?

You don’t need to.

[QUOTE=KTL;1957064]You don’t need to.[/QUOTE]

Why is it there?  :confused:

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1957707]Why is it there? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Because you can update the bootcode but [I]you don’t have to[/I].

IIRC, older drives needed to have their boot code updated because it’s part of the power-up sequence in which the ROM code gets checked against the drive ID in the firmware. If there’s a mismatch, the crossflash may render the drive in the periodic-LED-blink-of-inoperation mode. Not sure if that’s accurate or not, but something to that effect.

I got a Sony G120A from a friend and crossflashed it to 165P6S with update bootcode enabled. I hope I didn’t do bad.

[quote=talos_2002;1958162]I got a Sony G120A from a friend and crossflashed it to 165P6S with update bootcode enabled. I hope I didn’t do bad.[/quote]I don’t think it’s been known to mess anything up. By default, the bootcode is updated. I’m sure you’re fine. :iagree:

All my EXE flashers update the bootcode by default, because LiteOn does tweak it from time to time and the flash procedure is very safe.

Only a reset or power failure during the flash can cause a problem and even if the boot code is fine and the firmware is corrupted, the drive will still not work and still not be flashable from Windows.

I personally think it’s a good practice to always update the boot code, especially if you are crossflashing to a different model.