Update boot code?

vbimport

i change my TEAC DV-W58G-A firmware with liteon 812 s USOJ with ltnFW using only update (without Update boot code)…and everythings works well
What advantage to use update boot code? Is good?

With orginal Teac Bios i made many coaster but until i use the USOJ firmware …no many coaster , and very good result for + , - and -rw
Sorry but my English is poor!!!

Short answer: It doesn’t matter either way.

Long answer: I’ve actually always recommended NOT to use the “update bootcode” option. I has nothing to do with the firmware version or it’s operation and is there as a fail safe incase something goes wrong with the flash (very rare).
Checking it won’t really hurt anything… but neither will leaving it unchecked, in fact it’s a little safer in the long run.

If you upgrade from one model to the next, it’s probably best if you do update the bootcode. The bootcode area contains a copy of the drive/firmware identification (there’s another copy elsewhere in the firmware). So if you have, say, a 451S drive that you flashed to a 851S without updating the bootcode, then while your drive will now identify itself as a 851S, the bootcode area is still identifying as 451S. And if you then do a backup of this firmware, you’ll get a corrupted firmware whose bootcode area no longer matches that of the firmware that you just put it.

But as Ssseth said, this has no effect on performance. But there is an aesthetic element to having a bootcode area that correctly identifies the drive. :wink:

I knew that was coming :stuck_out_tongue:

I still prefer playing it safe over aesthetics. :smiley:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]I knew that was coming :stuck_out_tongue:

I still prefer playing it safe over aesthetics. :smiley: [/B]

LOL! Sometimes I forget what firmware I have in my drive, so being able to use the compare function in LtnFW/Flash is nice, but compare doesn’t work unless you’ve updated the bootcode. :wink:

Originally posted by code65536
LOL! Sometimes I forget what firmware I have in my drive, so being able to use the compare function in LtnFW/Flash is nice, but compare doesn’t work unless you’ve updated the bootcode. :wink:

Useful info… thank you code65536

:cool:

[B]I knew that was coming :stuck_out_tongue:

I still prefer playing it safe over aesthetics. :smiley: [/B]

Partially agree:iagree:
When upgrading/downgrading firmware for the SAME model (i.e. HS0K <–> HS0Q, etc.) there is no need to update bootcode. If something goes wrong, you can easily give it another try then.

But when flashing to different model (FS0F <—> HS0K, etc.) it is definitely better to update bootcode too. And…if something fails…we always have mtkflash :bow: :bow: :bow: - it is able to recover even misflashed bootcode.

Short answer: It doesn’t matter either way.

:iagree:

The Update Bootcode option is very important when flashing newer drives which do not have a physical EEPROM chip. This includes any LTR-52327S with a firmware in the QS5* series, any SOHC-5232K that shipped with a firmware >= NK07, or any SOHR-5238S.

hi all

how update bootcode??? i newbe Sorry but my English is poor :bigsmile: 411@811 v4

like this. :cool:

BTW, you can do the same with LtnFW

pinto2
txs :bow: :bow: :bow:

Some Back ground info

I converted my 411S to 811S a while back all worked ok but I wasn’t impressed with the KProbe scans, they wern’t extremely high and all disc’s played fine in my stand alone. I decided to revert back to a 411S purely on the KProbe scan results, they were better at 411S. I had tried different firmware versions @ 811S but nothing really changed.

Anyway on converting back I noticed that any new new discs burnt did not achieve the same scan results as before the modd, not very impessed by that, but also not really worried they all still played fine.

On reading this thread I thought to my self that hey I didn’t do an update on the bootcode @ 811S. Now not knowing if the modd does that for you or not I thought I might update the bootcode on my now 411S just in case. Well hey presto my scans on any discs burnt since then are alot better. I know this thread says it should not make a difference but to me it seems like it has. I will post some scans to show you the difference.

1st scan is basicly what I was getting after reverting back to 411S before bootcode update.

2nd scan is what I’m getting after bootcode update.

I’m about to do a couple more burns so I will post them when I get a chance.

What do you all think?

The bootcode should have no effect on write or reading quality. It was probably just a fluke. Kinda like how a while ago, people were convinced that HSG8 was better than HS0P, when both were identical.

My guess is that it was just random variation…

I experienced same effect. Been back and forth many times, always got some bad burns after reverting 411@811–>411.
Maybe I also forgot to tick the “boot code”, sometimes…

Does anybody have a technical explanation what really happens when ticking bootcode?
:wink:

The bootcode contains the basic functionality of the drive. It allows the drive to be recognized by the system, and it contains the code necessary for non mtk-flash applications to work, like the official LiteOn XFlash flashers. This is why losing the bootcode can be dangerous, because once you lose the bootcode, the drive is “dead” and will require mtkflash to recover.

Kind´a bios? Is the boot code the same for all DVDRW drives? Where is this “code” stored?

And yes, I can imagine the “basic” functions. :wink:

BootCode is stored in a small part of flash memory of the drive, that might or might not be flashed while upgrading firmware. It is just a choice of the flashing program (–> your choice when using LtnFW) whether to flash it too or leave it intact.

It’s a part of the firmware. This is why if you load a new firmware without updating the bootcode, then only part of the firmware is loaded (minus the bootcode part) and subsequent firmware compares will turn out different.

The bootcode for each firmware revision is different. Most of the time, the only difference is the signature (like the timestamp), but sometimes, the difference is more significant. For firmwares where the BC is more significant, you can tell by the fact that the official LiteOn XFlash flasher will have bootcode update turned on instead of off (they don’t give you the option… it’s either on or off in the flashing program itself).

code65536 gave it a shot and explained the into detail as I should had (if I had time;))
/ there is some thread in this forum explaining this problem but I can’t remember its name /