Upcoming and Current UHD-BD Titles

Now that I travel weekly I find myself with time to watch movies on the plane or at the hotel, but not very often the 4K copy at home. I am pretty much to the point of one a week. Watched Creed II last night and attempted to watch The Fog as well, but fell asleep…

I definitely consume far more TV then movies anymore. It’s just way more convenient to snag 45 minutes of free time than 90-120 in one sitting.

I never went back and got the 4K version of Stranger Things season 1. Since it didn’t have HDR or lossless audio I decided it just wasn’t worth the effort. At least they rectified things with season 2.

Here’s another @Soulstone: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mortal-Engines-4K-Blu-ray/226399/#Review

Consensus seems to indicate it looks and sounds great, but the movie is a big disappointment. Mine is here Tuesday :slight_smile:

mine too. and the 3D version as well

i been able to snag 3D versions from zavvi for most movies. some are quite excellent in terms of 3D. Solo 3D is “ok”.

still nothing touches The Hobbit trilogy in 3D.

Thanks @Balthazar2k4 I’ll give it a read! Mine should be here next Friday.

Got an early copy of Fantastic Beasts 2, anyone else finds the audio a bit crappy? It’s not Disney level, but I have to up the bass and volume a little bit, I found a bit of dynamic range missing specially at the end in the big “magic showdown”. I never thought I was going to say that from a warner tittle but there it is.

The Audio is encoded at 16 bit not 24, why? I don’t know why they chose to encode Creed II 24 bit audio but not this huge blockbuster. The only other 16 bit Atmos I have is The Meg and that was a pretty good encode.

16 bit really? bit depth is more important than sampling rate.

one wonders if they are using the stuff they peddle for streaming services onto uhd media to save cost anywhere tney can…

Yes, it might have to do with using the same mix for streamming like Disney does…
But I don’t think so, as the dynamics where not Atmouse level. Still, as I said before, The Meg is 16 bit and I have 0 issues with the mix, they must be doing something more. With Creed 2 the mix was dynamic (24 bit, not reference mix as there are plot limitations, but dynamic mix).

They must be doing something weird with their blockbuster mixes. I heard some reviewers are saying Aquaman is 10/10 reference, so maybe it’s just on some specific titles, but what’s clear is that they’re not treating their sound equally in action movies.
I think no one would mind “Disney-ing” Creed 2 or “A star is born” in exchange for a proper bassy and dynamic Fantastic Beasts 2. (Maybe it’s just my opinion).

don’t know if anyone saw it but GoT Season 8 in 4K is up for preorder on Amazon!

here’s hoping Season 2…7 receive the same treatment

season 1 in 4K was excellent

Yes I saw it earlier today, I didn’t get S01 but I’m thinking of getting it now. I don’t know if they’ll release the whole set this year, I mean by the time S08 comes out (maybe October to December) I don’t think they’ll have time to release 6 Seasons in UHD.

Still, if someone can get more info on this I’ll appreciatte it, as I’m interested in S01 but if they’re going to release them all later this year I’ll just wait for the boxset.

note this is also a steel book version

The Karate Kid is a very nice improvement over the standard BD. Big increase in resolution. Fine detail is much more apparent. Makes the original BD look like there is a thin layer of petroleum jelly smeared over it.

I got my order delivered this morning. Karate Kid and Captain America trilogy Boxset. I must agree with you about Karate Kid. However I wasn’t very impressed with Captain America, specially with the Atmos mixes, although to be honest I was expecting much worse. Video quality is a really big improvement in WS and CW. Civil War’s Atmos mix is actually better than the BD mix.

One good thing about this is that Disney doesn’t seem to have limited the dynamic range, just pure volume, about 5-10 db up and you’re good.

A little off topic but I watched Avengers: Endgame at the cinema yesterday. Absolutely awesome movie!! Can’t wait for it to be released on 4K.

i hope with Disney’s new streaming service that they continue to release UHD and even BD.

hopefully Criterion will start supporting UHD. after all they are pushing “new 4K scan” for pretty much everything now. would be a lot of double dipping for me.

just read over at the Bits that The Doors is slated for 4K as well as Iron Man 1…3 (US).

turning out to be another expensive year

The first 2 Thor movies are also slated for 4K on September.

Argghh! I did it again - ordered the same movie twice from two different sellers. Mortal Engines. The problem with pre-orders well in advance - I tend to forget about them.

Might be time to set up a spreadsheet

Does this happen to anyone else?

LOL. No, I can safely say this hasn’t happened to me yet. I tend to order only a week ahead of release unless I purchase the title via Disc + Digital on VUDU. That said I also purchase every new release at release so that makes it easier for me to remember I already have it too :rofl:

I don’t have that problem because here in Spain there’s only about 2 major sites where you can order 4K Discs (Amazon and Zavi). I wish we had more options like north american fellas :joy:

I order a lot from Zavvi! almost all my 3D now comes from them. And in fact, it turns out I did not double-dip on the same title! It was the 3D version of Mortal Engines.

Also for those that care about HD audio - turns out that the Apollo 11 docu that was recently released on Blu (or shortly released) does indeed have DTS HD MA! Despite the packaging…

Now where is the 4K?

For the folks experiencing the audio dropouts, do you only see that MKVs? If you’re able to play the full disc rip as a folder or ISO (say on an Oppo), do you experience no drops?

I noticed that before with Coco and Last Jedi when I had my server set up. Wonder if it’s the same now.