Upcoming Adblock Plus release allows users to pay websites for content

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Upcoming Adblock Plus release allows users to pay websites for content[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2014/07/adblockplus_512-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Adblock Plus today announced it will soon introduce functionality that allows visitors to pay for content on a website. The popular adblocker hopes to compensate publishers for the revenues they miss out due to visitors blocking ads.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/adblock-plus-soon-to-allow-users-to-pay-websites-for-content-79327/](http://www.myce.com/news/adblock-plus-soon-to-allow-users-to-pay-websites-for-content-79327/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

There is a reason Ublock Origin, and others like it are getting more popular.

ABP is gradually morphing into something else.

Dumbest thing I’ve heard this week. If a site won’t let me in without paying or watching ads, I don’t visit. Simple.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2773728]There is a reason Ublock Origin, and others like it are getting more popular.
ABP is gradually morphing into something else.[/QUOTE]Like into a full fledge adware program. Glad I only use the PC hosts blocker don’t have to pay to use this software when I did it for free.

[QUOTE=CDan;2773733]Dumbest thing I’ve heard this week. If a site won’t let me in without paying or watching ads, I don’t visit. Simple.[/QUOTE]Exactly this is why these blockers came about too many adware and popups that it ruined users experience that they had to resort to these kinda blockers.

[QUOTE=CDan;2773733]Dumbest thing I’ve heard this week. If a site won’t let me in without paying or watching ads, I don’t visit. Simple.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :clap: Jeez

Brilliant! Let me install this ad blocker on my computer so it will block free, but unwanted web content, then let me pay certain content providers so I can once again see what they were providing for free. Are people really getting this stupid?

[QUOTE=CDan;2773733]Dumbest thing I’ve heard this week. If a site won’t let me in without paying or watching ads, I don’t visit. Simple.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. :iagree:

Hmm… I do like the idea of being able to donate to website owners to help make up for lost ad revenues, but it doesn’t sound to me like the money will actually end up going to the site the user is donating to. If I donate to example.com, that money shouldn’t end up in the hands of ABP heaven-knows-who.

PS: I’ve seen websites owners who have added already-existing payment services, such as Patreon, to make up for lost revenues. GHacks, for example, replaces empty ad holders (which of course are only empty if the user employs ad blockers) with buttons asking users to donate. That said, ABP is not doing anything new here: they’re just trying to look like they’re helping website owners for the sake of public appearances. They don’t want to be called out for giving users the control they deserve hurting the web.

We get it: Ads aren’t what you’re here for. But ads help us keep the lights on.
So, add us to your ad blocker’s whitelist or pay $1 per week for an ad-free version of WIRED. Either way, you are supporting our journalism. We’d really appreciate it.

A dollar a week? Do they really make that much in ad revenue? I really doubt it. Blackmailing SOBs!!!:a

If there were no idiots, their would be no geniuses, because how would you tell the difference?

I just use my PC hosts edit and shzam no more adware or pops. And it was all free no paying anyone to use it.