Unviewable photos files on CD

[qanda]This thread is about the Microsoft CD-RW 32xRW52xW52xR IDE int Retail. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi … my first question which drove me to this site. I burned photos -jpegs, tiffs, RAW- onto a CD using a Compaq laptop when visiting my mom two days ago. I checked to be sure they were actually on the CD (Memorex CD-R) after burning.

At home this morning i put the CD into a Sony DVD/CD writer-reader and my Mac G5 (OS X.4.11) and i cannot see nor download the photos. I also tried reading the CD in the Samsung DVD/CD writer/reader that is in the Mac.

Toast, v7, indicates the CD space is full but that does not show the files either.

Using my wife’s PC, i still am not able to view nor download the photos despite checking that the “show hidden files” was checked in the control panel.

Does anyone know where i would look/go to find a solution for this problem?

Thank you,

Taiyo

You can try Isobuster, http://www.isobuster.com/, there is a free trial.

Or

http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/cd.html

Did you finalize or close the cd? Basically that means did you end the burning session. If you don’t then that disc will not be viewable in any other drive.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Whappo: i took a look at Isobuster, it is only for PC and this is a Mac.

Silkoone: Its unclear if it was closed out-i understand what you mean but was using Track burning (TAO) and not DAO which automatically closed/ends the disc.

However, here is something i’ve since thought about: The MS OS system that was burning the disc was set to TAO and so when i arrived home, i added one more session which filled up the disc but while the CD is full, i don’t know that it was closed/ended. I wonder if adding that additional session did something to the earlier burns.

I use Roxio Toast v7 with this Mac and set it for TAO.

When i read “disc info” via the Toast software, it shows the other sessions on the disc, so i know they are there - i just can’t get access to them.

I have, since posting this question, tried three different recovery programs and none of them recover anything other then the session i added.

As i erased all the photos on the HD from where the CD was burned i can’t return to the originals.

However, it does, again, make me question my system of backing up photos; in this instance i was just traveling from my family’s home to mine and didn’t think to make two copies even though i had a 4GB flash drive with me that i could have put them into.

Sigh, i think i’ve reached the end of this trail but am open to more suggestion.

Silkoone, is there a way to close the CD at this point? Toast does indicate it is full and nothing more may be added?

[QUOTE=Taiyosan;2234092]Thanks for the recommendations.

Whappo: i took a look at Isobuster, it is only for PC and this is a Mac.

[QUOTE]

In your original post you stated that you had/have access to your wife’s PC?

Silkoone, is there a way to close the CD at this point? Toast does indicate it is full and nothing more may be added?

The only program that i can think of that might be able to close a previously burned cd is Imgburn. I saw that you are using a Mac and the only way this program will run on a Mac is if you are using WINE according to the Imgburn Website. There is a thread over there that shows someone did close a disc previously burned with Nero so it’s worth a shot.

Silkoone: thanks but i think i’ll not dig into that vat of technology.

Whappo: i do have access to my wife’s PC but never thought to install Isobuster and give it a try. I have some time right now and so shall give that a try … i’ll post the results.

If that, the PC & Isobuster, don’t work i’m just gonna let the issue go; the whole process has helped me to understand “always have one if not two backups” of what i consider important even if it seems like a small batch of files and won’t get lost.

Sigh … thank you Whappo and Silkoone.

[QUOTE=sikoone;2233080]Did you finalize or close the cd? Basically that means did you end the burning session. If you don’t then that disc will not be viewable in any other drive.[/QUOTE]
That’s not correct. With a DATA disc it makes no difference. Even my Philips DVD player will read ‘open/multi-session’ Xvid DATA DVDs.

It worked!

I downloaded Isobuster into my wife’s PC and sure 'nuff, it read the images and i then put them into my flash drive and transferred them to this Mac.

Only the Olympus RAW files -only half a dozen- are not readable and i don’t know why although i can guess that the ARC is just a bit too old and i can’t download the latest ARC as i’m using PS3 and the latest ARC w/recognition of the newer Olympus cameras raw files can’t be downloaded into PS CS3 - i just checked with Adobe-another sigh as i realize more then ever i just have to upgrade to a new, blah, blah … you know.

And its fine if i can’t read those files-it was some artsy stuff i was trying to do and i did get to see them right after i shot them and they weren’t so good.

Thank you all so much for your help … you did well!

:slight_smile:

-taiyo