Unusual Problem! Help with GGC-H20L

[qanda]This thread is about the LG BH100 Blu Ray + HD-DVD Player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, I’m new to the boards so forgive me if I do this wrong; I actually googled my troubleshoot first and various threads popped up linked with this site;

unfortunately none of those threads seem to really match up with my problem.

I’ve Owned the GGC-H20L BR/HDDVD drive for a bit over a year now, and for the initial 9 months had nothing wrong with it.

I purchased Power DVD8 ultra last year and even flashed it so it would continue to play HD-DVD etc etc…

about 2 months ago, the drive just suddenly stopped playing BR and HDDVD; I always keep up to date with the firmware for all my devices and update my PowerDVD8 on a regular basis.

PowerDVD8 always says : F: Unsupported Format etc etc or No disc in drive F:

so after 2 months of frustration I called up LG and they sent me a replacement (thank you LG for not being dicks this time)

after the replacement I’m still getting the SAME problem. Now, I am just completely lost as to how something could work completely fine for 8-9 months and then suddenly stop working???

My specs: I have it connected to a 37" Vizio@720p and a Sony rear projetction 60" @ 1080p;
750W 4 rail power supply
32-bit XP Professional SP3
Intel Core2Duo CPU E6550@ 2.33 GHz; 2GB RAM
NVIDA GeForce 8800 GT SLi
Creative SB Fatal1ty X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Asus P5N-E SLI mobo

nothing is overclocked;

I ran Nero DriveSpeed and my Max Read speed is 122x @ Spin downtime 2min.

I have all the updated drivers on my Graphics cards and updated the Catalyst program;

I’m not VERY tech savvy, but I can look online and read forums and usually figure things out; but this is the first time where I’m just completely stumped as to what could possibly be wrong? :frowning:

I’ve run the BD Advisor and everything is Green…

I ran the Nero DiscSpeed 4 test:
Speed:
Average: 3.87x
Start: 2.04x
End: 4.03x
Type:P-CAV

Access Times:
Random: 122ms
1/3: 152ms
Full: 183ms

Burst Rate: 61 MB/s
Cpu Usage: 4x 1%; 8x 2%

Please help, I’m really at a loss as to what else to do at this point

Did you run Nero DiscSpeed on BD media? so Nero can read it but not PowerDVD 8?

I’d say software problem or conflict. Maybe reinstall PowerDVD 8 or try another software (WinDVD, trial version, or Nero Showtime).

hey thanks for the response!

yes, i rand Nero DiscSpeed on the BD drive; and the posted above were the results.

Power DVD says Unrecognized FOrmat in Drive F:

and i just tried WinDVD and it spools up the drive, and then displays stop and does not play either.

i’m really confused now as to why something that could work for 9 months suddenly craps out and doesn’t work anymore.

Last night I’ve even reformatted and tried it both on a reinstalled XP and Vista… fresh drivers and everything; at this point i’m really confused now.

What is the movie title you’re trying to watch and which region?
Did you try your old blu-ray titles?

Can you access the drive and files in it using Explorer?

[QUOTE=zaina;2217417]Can you access the drive and files in it using Explorer?[/QUOTE]

Besdies what Zaina asks above, have you tried reverting to an earlier version of PowerDVD as well? Preferrably version 7?

[QUOTE=zaina;2217417]What is the movie title you’re trying to watch and which region?
Did you try your old blu-ray titles?

Can you access the drive and files in it using Explorer?[/QUOTE]

yeap i’ve tried basically my entire bluray collection and HDDVD collection…all region 1;

[QUOTE=MBK;2217444]Besdies what Zaina asks above, have you tried reverting to an earlier version of PowerDVD as well? Preferrably version 7?[/QUOTE]

yes i went back to the original program that came with the drive, and it still says unrecognized format. I’m going to try reinstalling everything again and hope maybe it’s something that I missed…6th time reformat/installation’s the charm right? :doh:

How did you manage to run Nero DisdSpeed test on the blu-ray drive with blu-ray movie in it? It has AACS copy protection so you shouldn’t be able to, unless you run AnyDVD HD in the background…

Let me confirm, you are able to see the blu-ray content (files and folders) with Explorer but PowerDVD won’t start? strange…

[QUOTE=zaina;2217574]How did you manage to run Nero DisdSpeed test on the blu-ray drive with blu-ray movie in it? It has AACS copy protection so you shouldn’t be able to, unless you run AnyDVD HD in the background…

Let me confirm, you are able to see the blu-ray content (files and folders) with Explorer but PowerDVD won’t start? strange…[/QUOTE]

yes i scanned the drive with a disc in it and ran the Discspeed test. I don’t know anything about the AACS protection but it scanned nonetheless;

anyway, for whatever reason it FINALLY Works…i guess 6th time really was the charm T.T i’m using ver 7.3 though;

i mean i’m REALLY grateful that it works but it still completely baffles me as to waht happened.

my next question i guess would be…should i try to reinstalled PowerDVD8 ultra? also…i’ve changed my OS to Vista now and that means I can’t swap my powerdvd8 over…i have my cyberlink account and it shows my registration number but i can’t use that to activate it again right? so how do i get powerdvd8 ultra back?

thanks for everyone’s input!!