Unusual PIE/PIF spikes around the 3.85GB mark for 12X burns from my ND-3550A?

vbimport

Hey folks!

I’ve got a question for y’all if that’s okay!

I just RMA’d a NEC ND-3550A I bought recently, because it showed elevated PIE/PIF spikes at exactly the 3.85GB mark – on no matter which media I used. But here’s the thing: it only shows up on media I burn with it at 12X:confused:

Does anybody know why this is?

The reason I’m asking is because for some reason almost the same thing seems to be happening with my ND-3540A these days, but with a smaller (but consistent) spike location of about 3.80GB. It only happens when the DVD-R media is burned at 12X though! 2X, 4X, 8X and 16X work just fine… (with the exception that 16X is overal lower in quality – which is why I prefer burning at 12X).

I’m using good media: SONY16D1 to be exact, and the test discs I pulled were from different spindles – to eliminate the probability of a bad batch or something like that.

The fact that this type of spike shows up on BOTH independant NEC drives at or around the same location, leads me to believe that it’s some sort of manufactering defefect or something with NEC?

Has anyone else experienced such a phenomenon?

Thanks for any input you guys provide!

I just upgraded my burners to the BenQ DW1655 and Lite-On SHM-165H6S so I won’t feel too bad if nobody knows why this sort of thing is happening… I just thought I’d ask anyway, to see if my ND-3540A should stick around. :smiley:

PS- Sorry all my scans are at 16X… for some reason I’m not getting reliable scan results at the 8X level – another phenomenon I have yet to figure out! (All scans at the 5X, 12X, and 16X speeds on both drives show relatively the same results… but 8X is just wacko!)

PPS- I thought the ND-3540A and the ND-3550A contained totally different hardware? How can they be related in the first place?

That’s a dubious “feature” of the NEC drives although a lot of users say it doesn’t affect readability.

If you want to get rid of them, burn at 8X and the spikes will disappear.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yep, that’s exactly what I’ve been doing… it just takes longer, that’s all. Unfortunately time is a luxury I wish I could afford! :frowning:

Hey, does the new AD-7170A “feature” these same spikes by any chance? Because I ordered a replacement ND-3550A but they sent me the AD-7170A instead… and if I can just sell it as new without finding such info out for myself, that’d be awesome!

Thanks for your input Wombler. :slight_smile:

Don’t know the answer to this one but no doubt someone here can advise further.

Thanks for your input Wombler. :slight_smile:

No problem. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

No. :cool:

As most NEC drives, the 7170 creates re-linking single PIF spikes that can be detected in some scanning drives (and sometimes bring readability problems in Benq drives), but it doesn’t have this annoying huge peak that you can see in these 3550 burns above (the 4570/71 are even worse in this aspect). The 7170/73 seem to be much better burners than 3540-4550-3550-4570 lines.

Funny how you mentioned BenQ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll post another scan of the same disc soon – but on my Litey which is coming in the mail this week! :slight_smile:

But I find it very hard to believe that PIF should be higher than PIE at the 3.8 GB mark.

Here’s the same disc, scanned on the drive that burned it…

Aside from the typical NEC spikes, and the funky PIE’s toward the end of the disc… I’d say this was a pretty good burn. :iagree: No mountain at the 3.85GB mark!

Though I don’t trust NEC’s as scanners. Hopefully my Litey will soon reveal more truth… :wink:

Benq doesn’t add PIFs to the PIE counts.