Until recently I was able to play DVDs on my PC

vbimport

Until recently I was able to play DVDs on my PC. Then I upgraded my hardware. I installed an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4600+ on an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and added a Sapphire Radeon X850 XT. Of course that meant that I had to reinstall Windows. Surprisingly it all installed great, except now I can’t play DVDs. Whether I use Windows Media Player or PowerDVD I get the same response. The program hangs for a while then crashes to desktop. I’ve tried updating drivers but that didn’t work.

I have Windows XP SP2 btw, and everything else seems to work OK. I can even play avi, mpeg and wmv files, but not DVDs.

My DVD rewriters are an LG GSA-4167 and an LG GSA-4163 and I get no joy - DVD wise - from either.

Vlodec

Is it that you can’t play DVD’s or is it that Windows does not see any of your CD/DVD drives at all.

If your problem is that Windows doesn’t even see your CD or DVD drives at all; then try the instructions on this page of mine:

http://mysite.verizon.net/eric.groves/pg43.html

Eric

Windows recognises the drives OK. I can read CDs just fine and the system must also recognise DVDs because it fires up Windows Media Player when I insert one. It’s just that, having been initiated, WMP then crashes to desktop.

you know about a week ago many software/virus scanners had tons of updates me thinks something freaky was aloof so you might want to update those programs and do a full scan you just might have a bug in your system