I hope some of you guys can help me out.
I have a Sony DRU-700A which has been flashed from a DW-D18A using the 700AVS0B firmware. I’ve got it in a USB2.0 caddy, BlueEye I believe. My laptop has a USB2.0 card plugged in with all the correct drivers. The drive is recognized just fine on my WinXP SP2 laptop.
When burning, using DVD Decryptor, the device buffer is fluctuating like crazy. This is causing the burn speed to drop from the selected speed of 2x to approx .8x and even then it will fluctuate between .6x and 1x. I’m using Verbatim DVD-R media and though it takes forever, the burns work well in my Playstation 2. They will not work in my DVD player though.
I know that my burner is okay. I have hooked it up to my father’s laptop, also running WinXP SP2 with USB2.0 onboard. It works perfectly fine, no device buffer or speed fluctuation AND the dvds play perfectly in both the Playstation and the DVD player.
At first I thought the USB2.0 card I bought wasn’t supplying enough power, so I took it back and got a Belkin that comes with an additional AC power supply. It didn’t help, still has crazy fluctuations. Even plugging the caddy up to the USB1.1 yields wacky buffer rates. Something has got to be up with my laptop since it works fine with my father’s.
My guess is poor memory usage, and I’ve tried closing all unneccessary programs before burning, but it doesn’t help. One thing I haven’t tried is using Nero instead, but I haven’t got a copy of that.
The firmware flash didn’t seem to help but it didn’t seem to make matters any worse either, because it did the same thing as a DW-D18A. I bet I’m missing something really obvious here
Hope you guys can be of some help!!