Unrelated question - my computer need memory in pairs?

vbimport

unrelated question - my computer need memory in pairs? would it matter if I just buy a 512 mb stick and put it my computer?
its really hard to find memory sticks in pairs.
what brand of ram is good?
thanks for help.

This should be in the Hardware forum… :slight_smile:

Not many newer machine require pairs unless it’s dual channel. And then even dual channel boards will run single channel with a minor performance hit.

What kinda computer? Motherboard?

jimmyplexed this is not a computer forum…this is the BENQ forum…post questions in the correct forums…i see you’ve moved from the PLEXTOR forum to here… :rolleyes: :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

Wrong Forum, but you don’t have to buy memory in pairs. If you have a dual channel motherboard, then I would recommend it. But, you still don’t have to. I have found that the Corsair Value Select memory is a great buy. Good luck.

jimmyplexed,

Yes, this is not the correct place for such questions. While I don’t mind helping people out with hardware questions, please don’t post them in this BenQ forum. You say that your computer needs memory in pairs. Are you still running an older system that requires the use of 30-pin SIMMs (single in-line memory modules)? I haven’t seen one of those in quite a long time. Anyhow, if your motherboard uses SIMMs, then I would not upgrade that particular system. Rather, I suggest getting a whole new system. Computers of that age just aren’t worth upgrading that much. Spend your money on a new PC. That’s my opinion on this matter.

Again, any more questions of this nature belong in the hardware forum like pcdoc told you. :iagree: