Unreadable DVD-Rs after HD Wipe

vbimport

I recently had to reformat my PC, and copied all of my files that I needed to keep onto DVD-Rs through windows. The DVDs showed as burned, and retained the files when I checked them again before reformatting. Now that I’ve reformatted, they’re read as having nothing on them (though they have visible burn content on the underside).

The only thing I can think of is maybe they didn’t finalize, as I can’t remember if they did or not; or that the DVD Burner (which is showing as a SH202G from Samsung) doesn’t have the proper driver to read them, but I haven’t found any help from Samsung (not even an e-mail response to a few support queries).

Any ideas on how or if they’re recoverable?

[QUOTE=rainedown;2171407]I recently had to reformat my PC, and copied all of my files that I needed to keep onto DVD-Rs through windows. The DVDs showed as burned, and retained the files when I checked them again before reformatting. Now that I’ve reformatted, they’re read as having nothing on them (though they have visible burn content on the underside).

The only thing I can think of is maybe they didn’t finalize, as I can’t remember if they did or not; or that the DVD Burner (which is showing as a SH202G from Samsung) doesn’t have the proper driver to read them, but I haven’t found any help from Samsung (not even an e-mail response to a few support queries).

Any ideas on how or if they’re recoverable?[/QUOTE]

What kinda files did you copy and what program did you use to copy them to the dvd? What model is your computer? Reformat what do you mean restore cd/dvd or complete reinstall?? Did you make sure the software you installed all go installed after your reformatted your computer?

Various files were copied, pics, vids, word, etc.

Computer is put together on it’s own, Asus M2nbp-VM with athlon dual 3g, 8800gts, generic 4g ram, nothing really odd about the setup.

It was a full reformat, reinstalled windows and all cds for hardware afterwards, it should be the same setup as before, minus third party programs, etc.

Check to see if your dvd drive still reads and plays properly. What version of XP did you install? The O/S should have the drivers for your drive. Sounds like your drive is not working and could be dead or have a bad connections. Check your drive connections and test that drive in another computer to see if it can read/write properly. Make sure to check if the drive needs firmware as well.