Unprotecting wma files

vbimport

can anyone help me out in unprotecting wma files. i couldn’t neither convert wma to mp3 nor couldn’t write wma files to a cd

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=78454

VERY helpful thread!

www.muvaudio.com
www.tunebite.com

Try Total Recorder Here

Tunebite basic version is limited to 60 seconds of audio. Forget it!

MUv Audio is also limited to 60 seconds in the trial offer. And Total Recorder to 40 seconds.

@ Dolphino: you do realize you’re responding to a six year old thread, don’t you?
And where do you get your numbers from?

There is no time limit, but the beep is there to get you to buy it if you like the way it works. And if you’re too cheap to buy it to ‘unprotect’ music there’s always MP3 DirectCut or Audacity to edit the beeps out…

I know the thread is old but the problem happened to me today and googling it brought me to this site.
The numbers are about 20 minutes old. I checked the 3 programs that were mentionned in the thread and none are really free or allow for longer files.
And I don’t consider myself cheap for not wanting to pay for what I have already paid for. Next time I’ll go the the store and buy the CD.
Thanx for the help (or lack of it) anyway.

Well the quote from their website was mere seconds old. I’ve been using TotalRecorder for about 8 years and think it’s a fine program. Haven’t yet found a stream it won’t grab.

[QUOTE=Dolphino;2534512]And I don’t consider myself cheap for not wanting to pay for what I have already paid for.[/QUOTE] Why did you purchase protected audio files in the first place then? You surely must have known that they were protected.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2534515]Well the quote from their website was mere seconds old. I’ve been using TotalRecorder for about 8 years and think it’s a fine program. Haven’t yet found a stream it won’t grab.[/QUOTE]

Does TotalRecorder work by dubbing the sound or by using a virtual cd? I purchased a converter not knowing that I had to actually play the entire cd/track in order for it convert my protected wma files to mp3. Further, it recorded all sound coming out of my computer, so my little ‘error pings’ and ‘you have mail’ snippets of sound are recorded over my track. Not ideal, to say the least. Also, I probably have over 100 hours of files I am looking to convert and would like a faster alternative. Any advice on products would be appreciated.

^Protected wma files are not easy to copy. The only programs I know record whatever is played in real time. There is a free one called MP3MyMP3. If you use it, make sure not to install the bundled software with it…pain in the ***. This page shows how to decline installation of the added crapware when installing MP3MyMP3: http://www.mp3mymp3.com/bundling.html

TotalRecorder is a ‘virtual soundcard’ and as such allows the appropriate program to decode the stream, and once it’s in the condition it takes to play intercepts the stream on its way to the soundcard. It works on only the desired stream avoiding system sounds and other noises. It can also usually accelerate the process by telling the playing program to send it faster. I used to get 8X or better from ‘Audible’ books.

^Good to know you can get faster recordings than actual playback time. Didn’t know that about TotalRecorder. Of course, I have no use for it, but good to know. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2538340]^Good to know you can get faster recordings than actual playback time. Didn’t know that about TotalRecorder. Of course, I have no use for it, but good to know. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it works on a lot of web content too, as long as the player doesn’t disable it.

PS: I bought it back when it was $10 or so. It is now about $20.