Unofficial LDW-851S firmware: GSC2

<HR>

Thread closed

This thread has closed due to the release of 51S@832S. GSC2 was actually the 812S US0N firmware with a few name changes and disguises. GSC2 is still available, but now under the US0N name (the firmware is named US0N, though, like GSC2, the drive will still be named “851S”). However, as US0N is a bit old, you might as well try @832S

Unofficial LDW-851S Firmware: GSC2

GS–what?
We imported into a 851S firmware the media support (i.e., media codes, etc.) from the US0N firmware. This will allow 451S/851S owners to benefit from the work with improved media support and better burn quality that LiteOn has done for the 812S drive.

This is NOT an official LiteOn firmware!

(duh!) (in case you’re wondering, yes, there did exist a GSC1, which we used for internal testing and never released)

So what’s new?
I’ve always wanted to say this… “Match more media”! :wink:
Additionally (and perhaps most importantly), our tests seem to suggest that GSC2 does better than GS0H with write quality! Of course, results may vary, so try it out for yourself! :slight_smile:

What about 411S/811S?
Sorry, but the media support portion of the _11S firmwares is just too different, so there’s nothing that we could do for the _11S family of drives. :sad:

OmniPatcher!
This is also a perfect chance to use the new [thread=97590]OmniPatcher[/thread]! :wink: Unlike before, we are not going to create a confusing assortment of a zillion different pre-patched firmwares (one with auto-bitsetting, one without, etc., etc.) Instead, we recommend that before loading the firmware into your drive, open the .EXE with the OmniPatcher and customize the firmware to your liking. :cool:

<HR>Download from: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html<HR>

Looking forward to seeing people’s results with this firmware! :wink:

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Thanks Codeguys!

Thanks,CodeGuys! WIll update this thread as soon as I can with some results.

WOW! Thanks codeguys!!! As it seems to me, Liteon abandoned further 451/851 firmware development, and from now on, you will be our only hope! :wink:

Almost completely new firmware + Omnipatcher, I don’t know if I could even wish for more!! :slight_smile:

Here is a disc I burned with the new firmware: seems to have fixed a problem with high PI’s in the 4x zone of RICOHJPNR01, but that problem came and went for me with GS0H bs/sh/ss. I used omnipatcher to make my GSC2 bs/sh/ss

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited
Media ID RICOHJPNR01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 7.8x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.4x CLV

@mclearn

That’s an interesting scan. Looks like your burner slowed down and dropped out of 8x at the end… the SF should have avoided that :confused:

Sorry it’s taking me so long to get this posted. I actually haven’t burned a DVD in days because I’m been somewhat busy. Anyway, here’s a recent burn that I did with GSC2. With the following patches: 8x for Ricoh R01, early shift, shift-fixing. (also autobitsetting, but abs doesn’t affect burn quality in any way)

8x burn on my 451S@851S GSC2

OMG!!! Did my 851s just burn this??!!

Here is what DVD indentifed my media as:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-F01-000]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Media Type ID : [F01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

I read that these discs may not burm well at 8x but I noticed with the GSOH firmware I got fewer errors when I burnt them at 8x. So I used Omnipatcher (which ROCKS!!) on the GSC2 firmware with everything and speedhacked these to 8x. Here is a Kprobe 2 scan:

This is the best scan ever out of this burner. Here is a scan of the same discs at 8x with the GSOH Patched firmware from the codeguys.

This new firmware is AWESOME!!

Thanks again for all the work and sharing code65536!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

@bigdog242

Now that’s the sort of results we wanted to see. :iagree: :bigsmile:

That is definitely a pretty scan for CMC F01. :slight_smile:
Looks like 851 owners have a ‘winner’ firmware… for now. :bigsmile:

Codeguys- you are absolutely amazing :bow:
GS0H and 0F were giving me average PI of about 20 maxing at 60
This GSC2 burn is phenomenal; the PIs look like my old POs

Thank you, thank you, thank you and keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

How have these discs been playing back in stand-alone players? I know for instance that my discs play back perfectly in everything I have (NEC 2500A Burned discs that is…) except towards the middle to 2/3 portion of the way in they start skipping in my Polaroid DVD/DivX player. Now, this is most likely because of using +R media (even with -ROM booktype setting) so I’m not saying anything bad against the NEC.

Just curious what your folks success rates with this firmware has been in stand-alone players. I had trouble with that before with my 451S although that is an awesome scan of CMC Mag F01, I know my numbers all peaked out at around 400-500 before or even higher at certain points. hehe

Anybody with any DVD-R results?

@bigdog242
Could you make a NeroDVDspeed transfer rate graph for us to reference.

Can not believe my eyes! :eek:
Cmc Mag F01 burn at 8x with codeguys amazing firmware omnipatched to 8x and shift-fixed!
From an avarage pi of 100 with gsoh in 4x, to this!

I renamed my Lite-on to Code-On after this scan! :bow: :bow:

I burnt this disc with GSC2. I applied all the ticks in OmniPatcher and i changed RicohR01 to 8x

8x burn on my 451S@851S GSC2

Hi,

I have just tried out this new FW as I have been having problem with the bulkpak printable DVD+Rs (prodisc r02) I have purchased with my LDW-851S drive.
Did the burn ok with an unpatched version of the FW at 4x, the burn was ok, I then did a kprobe and all was not well.

At first the PI and PO look really good but when the scan reached 25-30% all hell breaks loose and the PIs go up to about 1000!
This seems to be typical of this batch of bulkpaqs that I have. Almost everyone of them has been a coaster and I have tried all the firmwares available for the 851s.

I also tried burning one at 8x with a patched FW and still got awful results.
Has anyone had much success with a LDW-851s drive with the prodisc r02 media?

Still on the bright side they are printable so I have lots of colourful coasters :wink:

thanks so much

with this new firmware i’m able to burn dvd-r ritek 04 speed 4

olpa

thought id send this scan in before updating to gsc2>gsoh
original 851s will send k probe scan of gsc2

Freakin awesome guys! :bow: :iagree: :smiley:
As you can see om my kprobe scan here…
Used to be at 200-300 continuous throughout the disc.
Same disc, same drive, even at 8x…
Keep up the good work…