Unlocked Cell Phones

[B]Hey all… just picking your brains…

I just bought an “unlocked” Blackberry Storm 9530 (GSM) from iOffer.com … it was a GREAT deal, got some nice accessories that aren’t with my Verizon store packaging too…

my question/concern is… I have since read that GSM doesn’t work with Verizon’s service. I just like gadgets lol I don’t know about all the jargon :stuck_out_tongue:

My verizon rep thinks everything should be ok as long as it’s not some ghetto clone or something…

any thoughts on buying “unlocked” phones from 3rd parties? It seems to me like I got a great deal $208 WITH shipping instead of nearly $500 in-store (have until Jan 210 before my new every 2 comes up)

Again, just picking brains and seeking comforting words of “it’s gonna be cool man” lol

peace,

The Buk [/B]

I have service from AT&T and there is a neat option for their customers that don’t want to pay a lot for a new phone. I bought a Go Phone and just swapped out the SIMM cards and it worked without a hitch. In a way it is like getting an unlocked phone for very cheap. I don’t care about all the bells and whistles or a camera etc. The Nokia phone I bought cost a whopping $9.95 which included a charger! There are other Go Phone with more features and can be had for little cost.

Hey UTR, I have AT&T and didn’t know about that option, thanks, my phone is getting pretty ratty and I need a simple one too. Can one swap out the simm card or do they have to do it?

You can do it easily. It is usually just behind the battery and is about half the size of a postage stamp. It just pulls out and you current slides right back in. It literally takes about a minute to complete. I got my Go Phane from Radio Shack for $9.95 plus tax. Heck, I couldn’t buy a battery for my old phone at that price.

Make sure that any numbers you have stored are in the SIM memory rather than the phone memory - or they will not be available on the new phone with the old SIM.

I will be wanting to move all my info, #'s, photos, music, etc from my Voyager to the Storm… Can’t I just use the memory card to transfer? Verizon phones do not have a sim card

See if there is software available for your phone to backup data to a computer. If it exists then you might be able to restore it to the new phone.

[QUOTE=UTR;2236937]See if there is software available for your phone to backup data to a computer. If it exists then you might be able to restore it to the new phone.[/QUOTE]

well… i would if i hadn’t of gotten ripped off by iOffer and the Chinese seller… grrr :stuck_out_tongue:

lesson learned… costly one

Just download the software from the manufacturer’s website.

[B]Wombler[/B]