Unlock rip speed on NEC DV-5800A?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading around about this, but I’m still learning a lot so forgive me if I sound like a total noob.

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 that came with an NEC DV-5800A DVD-ROM installed in it. Wife got me a Plextor PX-708a for Christmas, and I currently have them installed with the Plextor as master and the NEC as slave on the secondary IDE.

I can unlock the Plextor using the eject button trick and have gotten it to rip DVD’s at as high as 12x (usually averaging 8x). The NEC never gets higher than 4x and usually averages 2.4x. I have been reading about using hacked firmware to unlock the rip speed for DVD video, but haven’t been able to find any hacked firmwares for this reader. The only ones I have found unlock the region code, which I’m not really interested in doing. I’ve been using DVD Decryptor to rip the DVDs.

Is it possible to unlock the rip speed on this drive (for that matter is it even locked and how can I find out). It’s rated 16x, so I’m guessing I should be able to do better than 2.4x, but I’m not sure.

Any tips or pointers anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

I doubt that there is a rip speed limit on this drive…

Has anyone found a firmware update that will help with the rip speed?

I have the same drive and does rip slow 5x or slower. I also have problems reading disc burned with a new NEC 2500. I have tried three different brands of +R and different burn speeds but the older 5800 has problems. If i use a disc from a NEC 1100a i don’t have any read problems.

Dave

Hi do I need a special kind of driver or software to be able to burn dvds on my nec dv 5800a.

Yes, a magic one. Isn’t the DV-5800A a DVD-ROM drive, it doesn’t burn discs.

Brother Vlad

Hehe, it’s magic!